New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why in God's good name am I getting like 12 mpg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am definitely not tearing on my cougar, are my plugs going bad, or what else do you guys think this is the result of? Too freakin' cold for tune up, but I'll do it if I get one day of at least 40 degrees. I need it , just hit 50k (I can't belive I only put 6k miles on her since I got her in Feb.2003!)

·
Registered
286 Posts
Ok im not sure if this is true or not I was told, but someone told me that our cars dont need a tune up until like 95k. That sounded like [email protected]* but I wasnt sure, he said cause our spark plugs and wires were designed to hold up for that long. Frankly the dude drove a civic so I figured he didnt know his a** hole from a hole in the wall!

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Originally posted by: CougarSVT
Ok im not sure if this is true or not I was told, but someone told me that our cars dont need a tune up until like 95k. That sounded like [email protected]* but I wasnt sure, he said cause our spark plugs and wires were designed to hold up for that long. Frankly the dude drove a civic so I figured he didnt know his a** hole from a hole in the wall!
that may be the case on his import, but our domestic vehicles don't last as long. The first real tune-up on a cougar should come around 35,000 miles, maybe even less. i didn't do mine till about 55K miles, and boy was everything a mess. Plugs were almost destroyed, fuel filter clogged, wires almost shot..etc. These parts may hold up for as long as 95K miles, but it won't be good for the engine, and you'll be depriving yourself of gas mileage, horsepower, and all that good stuff. As for the mpg, are you calculating this by hand or using the 'ever-so-useless' LCD reading on the dash? Mine's been saying 14-15mpg for about 2 years now and I know that's not true.

Mike

·
Registered
286 Posts
Mine has been saying between 35-45mpg so I highly doubt that my car is that great especially since its not even a hybrid! I get supposedly better mileage with the lowest octane than with the highest wich is what I always use. My LCD says usually 364-344 with the highest and 389-406 with the highest. Im not sure how that is possible though!

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have been warming up the car before going to work, ITS FREEZING all the time!
But I was getting around 18-22 when I got the car, then 15-18 in the summer, and now it almost wants to dip down to 10mpg. I used 89 octane from Feb. to sept., but then read somewhere that the higher octane can cause problems if there is no reason for it( turbo, SC,
all kinds of bolt ons, etc.) So now I use basic 87 octane.

So what the hell do I do? Ignore it, or give it complete tune up.
Cougar feels sluggish lately anyway, and I changed the fuel filter 3 months ago.
Who knows!

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I was gonna say the fuel filter maybe, but you already changed it. How is the air filter? My LCD is dead nuts accurate so far so maybe yours is not off that bad if that is what you are going by. Maybe try resetting the computer too and if that doesnt work try a tune up..

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
aircougar,

When I started to notice my mileage had dropped right off, it was tune-up time. I did plugs (NGK Iridiums), a new air filter (actually, cleaned the K&N drop-in that I had at that time... it was RIDICULOUSLY dirty), and new fuel filter first. It was night and day after that, and mileage was way up.

Massiv.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
i was told by ford not to use highoctane gas in our cars...burn up the valves or something like that...i just use regular..cheaper and i get way better milage from it..get about 530 on the good stuff and up to 620 with the regular...that is in KM's..also when it is cold out your car will eat up alot more fuel..i would think even more so if you have aftermarket intake and CAI extension..this crazy cold whether is like putting a CO2 kit on your car...who needs the bypass maf mod POS when it is -40 everyday...hehehe..plugs and wires are never a bad thing to change and upgrade though...it is always nice to restore that lost power..

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Originally posted by: aircougar

I am definitely not tearing on my cougar, are my plugs going bad, or what else do you guys think this is the result of? Too freakin' cold for tune up, but I'll do it if I get one day of at least 40 degrees. I need it , just hit 50k (I can't belive I only put 6k miles on her since I got her in Feb.2003!)
Go through your manual for service information. You'll find a lot more things than changing plugs at 100,000 miles are involved in servicing the car; transmission flushes, brake and power steering fluid checks, air filters, on and on .. If you don't have a manual.. get one.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Originally posted by: crazyoldcougar
also when it is cold out your car will eat up alot more fuel..i would think even more so if you have aftermarket intake and CAI extension..this crazy cold whether is like putting a CO2 kit on your car...
What the deal is? Hot air = go slow. Why does cold air = go slow too? I thought the colder, the denser, and the denser, the more O2 in the same volume of air. More 02 per volume = more bang per stroke. (Mmmmmm... bang... per... stroke... haha).

Massiv.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys! I do have the manual, and I'm changing the plugs tomorrow at my dad's house.
He has a garage so it won't be as cold(no wind!). Probably oil change too.
I'll update on mpg soon , especially after the computer resets from disconnecting battery during the tune-up.

See ya later!

·
Premium Member
5,515 Posts
I can't speak for my cougar since it's put away for the winter, but for the saturn I have noticed a 70-80 miles/tank drop due to the weather. It takes a lot more to heat up that cold air. Remember this. I think all can agree this winter has been pretty brutal. Perform your maintenance and see where you lie.
Wait for the weather to warm up (40-50 F) to get any real comparisons.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Mine has been saying between 35-45mpg so I highly doubt that my car is that great especially since its not even a hybrid! I get supposedly better mileage with the lowest octane than with the highest wich is what I always use. My LCD says usually 364-344 with the highest and 389-406 with the highest. Im not sure how that is possible though!
DUH.

Higher octane fuel IS NOT NEEDED and will cause a reduction in MPG.

Putting 93 in the car because you think you have a need for it is just plain stupid!

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
I have a question about that. Sure the manufacturer recommends 87 octane fuel..but that's for the car they manufactured. What about seriously modded cars? For instance, I have all the things listed in my sig, should I be using higher octane gas?

Mike

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Originally posted by: 99CouGSweetRide
I have a question about that. Sure the manufacturer recommends 87 octane fuel..but that's for the car they manufactured. What about seriously modded cars? For instance, I have all the things listed in my sig, should I be using higher octane gas?

Mike
No.

Compression Ratio changes (IE 3.0L hybrid 11.2:1) require higher octane to reduce preignition and detonation.

Advanced timing requires higher octane.

Boost requires higher octane.

Pinging due to any of the above.

If you don't have one of the above instances, you DO NOT need higher octane fuel.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Well isnt a higher octane better for your engine. I thought the higher octane the longer the engine would last or more performance youd get.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Well isnt a higher octane better for your engine. I thought the higher octane the longer the engine would last or more performance youd get.
No.
Sorry but you have been listing to tribal wisdom and it is definitely wrong. Save your money and your engine by buying regular and from a station such as SHELL.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
No. Its worse for your engine, it burns slower, which yeilds less performance. This will also cause a rich condition which over time can wash down the cylinder walls, and reduce the amount of lubrication present. This could yeild PREMATURE failure.

Anyone who put's high octane in thinking it will help a car designed to run on 87 is a RICER.

The ONLY reasons to add higher octane are listed above. Higher octane is intended to reduce the likelyhood of pinging and detonation.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts