New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My cougar has been off the road for a few months now and decided to look at it today again, I don't know much about the damn things but I'm pretty mechanically inclined, but this is what I've noticed, There is a small leak of oil, not sure where it is coming from but it runs down the side of the oil pan, I checked the oil and smelled gas in it, from what I hear this is a head gasket problem but not sure, also, if it is a head gasket does the engine have to come out to fix it, and does it take a professional, I'm trying to keep the costs down... :S

Laters,
Fuax

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
No need to write the car off yet... Gas in the oil definitely isn't a great thing to have, but it may just be from lack of use. My advice would be to change the oil, and drive it - See if, after a while, your oil becomes again contaminated.

It is possible that the engine was running obscenely rich for a time, actually washing the cylinder walls in unburnt fuel which can cause oil contamination. It can also happen if you have fuel but no spark during engine start. You keep pumping fuel into the cylinders, but it remains unburned.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.