New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hmm my cougar seems to get better and better as the days go by :banghead: This morning when i was driving to work, i was checking out my MPG Fuel ratio display on the digital display the gas miles where dropping by the second? Ive had this problem once before. I put the car in neutral while coasting down the highway, cut the car off (thank god nobody was on the streets) coasted for prob about half a mile, then cranked the car back up and put it in gear watched the display and atfirst it was dropping rapidly, then it hung on for almost exact measurement between the display and the odometer? Thinking maybe this could have something to do with the CEL light for the EGR, like maybe the A/F ratio is way off and causing the car to guzzle gas? Anyone have a clue??

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
first of all never trust that digital display. Mine always reads between 14 and 16 and I know it's higher than that. If you want to calculate your MPG you have to do it the old fashioned way. If you think your MPG is really that bad there are some things you should check first, such as tire pressure. Tire pressure can really cause you to lose a lot of mileage. Then there's the other stuff like spark plugs, wires, O2 sensors, or, since your CEL is on, the EGR valve or the DPFE sensor.

Mike

1 - 2 of 2 Posts