New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is for everyone who will, have had, or might have a problem where the MTX gets stuck in one gear.

Take it to someone and have it fixed correctly. :)

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
Yea - unfortunately, I've seen too many posts with the problem being that one bolt... Someone needs to figure out the right bolt size and can find a stronger replacement bolt (ARP - grade 9 comes to mind). Hopefully that'll be the "end-all" solution to this problem.

Is this just the 99-00s with this problem? Or does it apply to the 01-02 "upgraded" shift tower as well?

-Nick

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure, I haven't seen any of the newer design. The bolt is an M8x1.0, about half an inch long.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
The problem with this solution is you NEED to retrieve the broken bolt from inside the transmission.
In most cases this requires cracking the case open.

If this bolt is not removed, you risk many bad scenario's.

The most ugly, which happened to me comes to mind; the bolt going through the differential, and out the side of my tranmission case. :(

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Typically though, it will fall down and stick to the bottom magnet...or at least that is what you hope for.

With the shift tower removed, I was able to get in pretty deep with a magnet pen and was not able to find the bolt head.

Ideally speaking, the bolt head should fall to the bottom and stick to the magnet.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
this was the route I went with last week.. The bolt wasnt located, so it was deemed "stuck to the bottom"
replaced the bolt, and went on the merry way.. not 15 minutes later, the tranny found the bolt I could not -- and promtly shot it through the case... Enter new scenario, $2000 and a new tranny to install.
here is an issue you may run into. The trans for a 99 is no longer sold as a complete unit. However, the 2001 unit is. the difference? that shift tower. Where the linkage mates to the trans is different, so you will need to get cables from a 2001. (dont know yet if they attach at the shifter the same)
Ford quoted me 3500 to get it done. Breakdown: trans for 2001 1700, 600 core charge. since the case is shot, it is useless as a core, so 2300 for the trans. approx 100 for cables, and 1100 in labor. I told the dealership to go pound sand. With a little searching, I found a Euro Spec trans from Bat (dont call, i got the last one) for 1550 + shipping. no core required. My mechanic said he will do the whole swap for about $350 plus the cost of the cables.

I seriously recomend that if you havent found that bolt, pull the trans, take the tower off and shake the hell out of it while its upside down.. you may get lucky enough to have it fall out the way it fell in..

·
Premium Member
8,094 Posts
Originally posted by: Fett
Typically though, it will fall down and stick to the bottom magnet...or at least that is what you hope for.

With the shift tower removed, I was able to get in pretty deep with a magnet pen and was not able to find the bolt head.

Ideally speaking, the bolt head should fall to the bottom and stick to the magnet.
I disagree...
Tell that to the numerous numerous people on this board and on CEG, and they'll kick your rear.... LOTS of ppl have had that bolt sent thru the trans case, including CougarGT..

....they either told him it wouldn't be a problem, or they claimed they retrieved it, but actually didnt... somethin like that

·
Registered
1,516 Posts

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, if you can remove the bolt, that would be the best way to go. If you can crack the case and search more throughly, then I would recommend that.

Ideally speaking it should fall through, but it seems that is not the case more often that I believed. Even the guys at work said that the times they did a complete drop, they found the bolt stuck to the magnet. I guess it is always possible for the bolt to get caught in the gears and cause more problems.

Either way, I am deleting my original post and taking my leave of you. I only try to help, and I have overstayed my welcome. :)

See ya.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Originally posted by: Fett
Yes, if you can remove the bolt, that would be the best way to go. If you can crack the case and search more throughly, then I would recommend that.

Ideally speaking it should fall through, but it seems that is not the case more often that I believed. Even the guys at work said that the times they did a complete drop, they found the bolt stuck to the magnet. I guess it is always possible for the bolt to get caught in the gears and cause more problems.

Either way, I am deleting my original post and taking my leave of you. I only try to help, and I have overstayed my welcome. :)

See ya.
:banhim:

Why do you act like a 5 year old sometimes?
Your fix is great, but its not complete.

Perhaps you can suffer from an air conditioned tranmission case too.
The large hole on the side really helps with cooling.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts