New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be upgrading to FuseTalk 2.2 very shortly ... before month's end. Currently, this board has one major difference than the "stock" board software ... signature length has been increased. In an effort to ensure 100% upgrade compatibility, I will be reverting back to the "stock" field type for signatures, which is 256 characters. Sorry, but this must be done! I have talked to the FuseTalk programmers, and they are considering making this a future feature, so don't worry, it should be coming back. So, I am giving everyone 2 weeks to change your signatures to comply ... otherwise, the the signatures will be truncated by the database when I upgrade. I know that this is a big deal for some, so as a trade-off, I will re-enable file attachments

So, you will need to shorten your signature to 256 characters total. Keep in mind, that adding links to signatures ads unseen characters. For example, if my site is http://www.fastcougar.com, that right there is 25 characters. Then there is the link text itself ... "My Site", which is 7 characters ... spaces are characters. Then there are hidden code like "<a target=new href="">", 22 characters and "</a>", another 4 characters. So, for every link, there are 26 characters in addition to the Link Title and Link Code. In this example, the link's total characters would be 58, and would look like this: My Site. Also, line breaks take up 4 characters "<BR>", So, also choose wisely where you hit the enter key when typing your signatures. Double breaks are 8 characters and are represented in the DB as "<BR><BR>", and are commonly thought of as paragraph breaks. So, choose your words wisely. BTW, my current signature takes up 194 characters.

Sorry to have to do this, but it is the only way that I can guarentee a smooth transition between board software versions.

This alert message will expire on June 1st ... when I update the board.

**Update** Attachments have been reactivated! **Update**

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Maybe it's just me, but I'd MUCH rather have file attachments than a signature that takes up half a page. Those get rather irritating and add to the length of a post. When you reimpliment this feature, will you add the "picture inside the post" feature too? Not that there's anything wrong with having the little link at the bottom, but it's fun to have the picture right there IN the the thread to look at.

·
Premium Member
8,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, it is great, but what about those that access the board on a modem. Such "in-line" image posting is quite intrusive on their bandwidth ... Sorry, but links to images will have to stay the norm.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
I dunno about some sigs... but I like to have a small list of mods just so you can know where someone is comming from when they post. I HATE seeing a sig like this

&&&(*SD(*(8 KKM INTAKE KIT *(&*((*&^976(*&
*&(*&(*7 BORLA CARBON FIBER STAINLESS STEEL DUAL EXHUAST!!)2#[email protected]#[email protected][email protected]$
#$#$#$# SUPERCHIP FULLY CUSTOM PROGRAMED BY JAKE AND CLEMS RACING#$#$
##)*(&#)(*$ UNORTHADOX RACING BILLIT ALUMINUM BLUE COLORED PULLY#$#$#$

[email protected]

[email protected] [email protected] ON A MODEL 46543 SERIAL NUMBER 34234343 DYNOJET AT 60° AMBIENT TEMPERATURE 87% HUMIDITY and 32.1 ON THE BAROMETER!!!

Okay... ill stop now... sorry I got carried away. I like to see a nice sensable sig. I know mine is a bit like I described but if you look at the CEG board you will know how bad it can be... some of theirs are like 30 lines. I just like to see somthing like mine.. mostly consise. I could rewrite mine too.

99 V6 ATX,Silver,Borla Single,Injen,Taylor wires,SVT upper,SVT TB,Mystery mod,KVR rotors,Mintex pads.

Now that doesnt give ALL the info my normal sig does but it gets the point accross. I just think people should quit whining about it and make the best of it... my example was 100 characters or so... and I think its preaty informative and leaves room for another sort of sig and even a webpage link. I dunno.. maybe i dont see the whole story from my perspective.. but I definatly aggree that in line images are BAD... I once looked at the old board from a modem and man is it slow. Sometimes us high bandwidth folks forget about the modems. The linked images are fine... they are a PERFECT solution. The only thing I think would be better would be an option in each users config that would ENABLE in line images ONLY if they were logged in and had it set to do so. That would be nice! Maybe mention that to the fusetalk people... I think it would be awsome to have it like that.

And HEY... if you havnt donated to the board yet DO IT... uh.. please? So far its at around $1.00 per person on average! Common people... You can donate as little as 5 bucks! It all helps. If all 468 of us gave $5 we would have $2340. Common guys... i was being a wus about using paypal at first too... it takes like no time and no effort to do it... just go donate and feel GOOD about somthing!

Sorry.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Just wondering about the inline image deal. There is a setting in the "Customize" part of the board that says it strips out all the graphics (including IMG tags). Wouldn't modem people who don't like long loading times enable that feature? Seems to me that'd make more sense to do than complaining about images loading on their dialup.

·
Premium Member
8,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You have a GREAT point ... forgot that this software does that. I swear, this board has too many options/features. I will activate inline images as a result of JoeMama's insight. Everyone can think him later <sarcasmn>moderators feel free to ban him </sarcasmn>

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.