New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 99 cougar started smelling about a month after I bought it. A friend of mine who is fairly automotive intelligent told me I was burning oil. I usually only smell it when I have the climate control going. I know this is probably a pretty broad question to answer without looking at the car, but if anyone could give me some ideas of what I could look for to find the problem, that would be wonderful. Thanks

aaran

·
Premium Member
5,052 Posts
The cars have built in HEPA air filters... you probably just need to put in a new one... if its a moldy smell.
If its a rotten egg smell, it could be your catalytic converter.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To remove the filter, you`ll find access under the passenger side windshield wiper, i believe mine set me back like 30 bucks or so,, also when i replaced mine i put a fragrance thing in the compartment as well so when i turn on the a/c the cars smells good, mine only had 36k on her and i replaced it and it was full and i mean full of dirt, then again i do live in the desert! Also being as that your return air for your car is on the passenger side floor , you might wanna check that area as well, i ususually spray my cologne on the passenger side floor board before i pick up and dates!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
its not the hepa, i know how that smells. its more like a burning smell, but not a brake pad burning smell. any other ideas?

aarAn

·
Premium Member
5,052 Posts
Rotten egg?, burning oil? Check when the engine is cold,
under the car where the oill filter is..
see if there is oil on the filter... typically it'll drip off hit
the manifold.. and burn off.. so there is rarely drip marks on a driveway
that is of course if its oil dripping.

Also check you vin to see if all recalls have been performed..
there is a recall relating to the variable speed fan wiring for the
climate control.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts