New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my svt uim and tb put in over the weekend and thought I'd have some fun with an '02 Corvette that was reving his engine this morning on my way to work. I thought he'd pound me into the ground, but it wasn't as bad as I thought...never managed to pull more than 2 car lengths (and I've got an ATX)!
He seemed a little shocked when I kept up.

(mods: Injet intake, Borla exhaust, and now SVT UIm & TB)

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I hope you are jokeing :rofl:

If he only pulled 2 cars. . . it's because he was either 1/4 throttle or he let off. A stock vette would smoke the hell out of a cougar. And a modded one, well you would only see his lights getting smaller and smaller the further ahead he gets.

My car is fast as hell and I've raced a few vettes. Stock I can take a A4 as myself is an A4 with a bunch of bolt ons. However I've raced my brothers 99 Vette M6, only mods is a cat-back exhaust. Everything else completely stock. I'd kill him from a 30 roll and he would have one hell of time playing catch up due to the way my car is setup. However from a 70 roll. Naa, I hang until we hit 120 and he just pulls away pretty quick.

Not bashing you to hardly man. Just from what I've seen, what I've driven and know on the LS1's. . . he was playing you.

·
Registered
167 Posts
hey I did something like that in a '91 ford festiva boy talk about getting smoked . It was so funny I couldn't stop laughing for about 15 min. I had to pull over and laugh it off.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
btw here a video of what a modded corvette is able to dish out. And it's actually weak compared to alot of others I have seen. Same with F-bodies. Same engine, just a few other tweaks, and abit heavier :/

but doesn't take much to turn these already monsters into beasts!

Video of modded Eagle Talon AWD vs Vette

·
Administrator
24,493 Posts
Jeez...I thought this was going to be a thread about visiting the Veterinarian...

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Yeah... much playing. Back when I had my modded 5.0 I had raced a couple of vettes on the street. One time I'm driving down this highway, and this vette comes up beside me, with a guy in his 20's driving it, and some blonde in the passenger seat that could barely see out. You just basically saw the top of her head over the window sill. This guy counted it down, and we ran, and he absolutely DESTROYED my car. Multiple times... it was a joke to him... I didn't even bother after the second attempt... those things are ridiculously fast... it wasn't even comparable, and other than those encounters, my car fared extremely well against a LOT of very fast cars...

Massiv.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I had a similar experience with a '96 Vette on the highway. I was driving home from work last year when it happened. I was racing him and we were side by side but I had to back off because traffic was getting dense and my exit was coming up anyway.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Ive had a couple of experiences with Corvettes, so much fun... First off, I was in a left turning lane and a vette was in front of me. He goes to do a normal u turn, then floors it and I hear the awesome v8 growl and the guy starts doing donuts in the oncoming lane (no traffic cause of turning green light) it was insanely cool!!

Then another time there was a Corvette Z06 tailgating me (couldnt get over cause of traffic) in middle lane when he could finally pass me then I followed. Went for a long ways before traffic opened up then he floored it, just to see difference I floored and followed. What a joke!! It looked as If I was standing still he was going so fast.

Moral of the story: I wish I was rich enough to own a corvette.

N

·
0 Posts
I raced a Corvette one time too.............. but when he popped the hood he had a D16 motor ............:confused: :rofl:

dont go by badging my friend... :rofl:

·
Premium Member
6,085 Posts
my dad messes with people in his vette all the time.

I remember sitting at a light with my dad (who was driving) and this mid 20's guy was in a 5.0 beside us....he starts reving....I started laughing. I had to tap my dad on the shoulder to get his attention and he waved over to the guy. The guy reved again.....this dude ripped off the line and my dad gave him about a car length beofre slamming the gas.....he smoked the dude.

Another time was a civic......same scenario, only a 2 lane highway after a set of lights. It was like 6am and we were the inly cars on the road (it was a Sunday) and we were on our way to a car show in a hick town....my dad just ran beside him then floored it and we lost the kid.

For the price, you can't beat a vette!!!

·
Administrator
24,493 Posts
Originally posted by: 8BaLL
God i love that video, seen it like 100 times and it still kicks a$$ :bowdown:
The funniest thing is the first time the guy romps on it and dusts the Talon, both of the guys just go "Holy S**t" in unison. I just die every time I hear that...

·
Registered
450 Posts
guys vettes are fast but come on now. i feel like i'm in a motor trend convention. They worship that car like it's God! geez. i had similar experiances with a vette in my modded 5.0 and let me tell you he didn't pull away. he had a six speed and all that jazz and we went from a stop light to 140 and just jockey'd for position. vettes aren't that impressive. there set up nice, and they have awesome capability's to be impressive but out of the box a regualr vette is just an old mans car. and really thats usually who you see driving them. 340 or 360 or whatever horsepower the LS1 makes isn't very much out of a 5.7L. Ford takes a 4.6 or a 5.4 and makes more then that or not alot less. I have to respect the Z06 though. thats a corvette that commands respect. the other ones just don't do it. either way look for alot of cobras out there to smoke alot of other cars. i see mustangs being more dangerous to race because it's alot more likely that they are modded. it's rare to see a modded vette at least in rural areas.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Originally posted by: Archangel7772001
guys vettes are fast but come on now. i feel like i'm in a motor trend convention. They worship that car like it's God! geez. i had similar experiances with a vette in my modded 5.0 and let me tell you he didn't pull away. he had a six speed and all that jazz and we went from a stop light to 140 and just jockey'd for position. vettes aren't that impressive. there set up nice, and they have awesome capability's to be impressive but out of the box a regualr vette is just an old mans car. and really thats usually who you see driving them. 340 or 360 or whatever horsepower the LS1 makes isn't very much out of a 5.7L. Ford takes a 4.6 or a 5.4 and makes more then that or not alot less. I have to respect the Z06 though. thats a corvette that commands respect. the other ones just don't do it. either way look for alot of cobras out there to smoke alot of other cars. i see mustangs being more dangerous to race because it's alot more likely that they are modded. it's rare to see a modded vette at least in rural areas.

LOL you had similar experiances with a vette in your modded 5.0 :rolleyes: you are comparing bone stock C5 against a modded mustang. However if you ran him from a 70 roll he would have destroyed you. Only down side to mustangs, not much punch for on top. Espeically since you would have ended at 140 and he would keep going on up to 178 ;)

And you are close on the HP of the LS1. It's close to 380 with 330 and up at the wheels depending on tranny. Z06 is 400+ with 350+ at the wheels.

Now comparing the 4.6 to the 5.7. Ford gets the power they do by adding a supercharger. You put a blower on a LS1 and then you are hitting 500+ rwhp on a stock block. Know this one already as I have seen it at the local performance shop out of a 2002 WS6. Just an ATI procharger at 8psi thru a M6 pulled 509hp and 500tq. Out of LS1 :) He hasn't ran at the track yet but will in march when they reopen. I'm eager to see him run :)

But a stock 4.6L pumps a claimed 260hp. Dynoed for an automatic about 208hp (what I dynoed with my auto with only a BBK intake at the time)

Bone stock LS1 (you can find my dyno sheet on this site as it's here, somewhere) again 5.7 although it's a 99 model with the restricted LS1 intake compared to the LS6 intake they are throwing on these others, with LS6 blocks :) I put down 316rwhp and 336rwtq. You add in estimated 18% drive train loss and I have 372 crank HP and 396 crank lbs of torque.

Now I don't know about you but I find that very impressive for a bone stock LS1 straight to the paper filter.

I'm by no means stock now as I have already exceeded 400 crank hp and soon to be more :evil:

And same with the 5.4L that is in the SVT Lightnings hehe. I have a dyno chart somewhere on this site of my friends 2001 SVT L dynoed bone stock. 343hp and 388tq stock.

Again I am not impressed with that as it's supercharged :)

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
btw just for show :) bone stock dynos of my Trans AM (5.7 LS1) And my Friends Bone stock at the time 5.4 S/C SVT Lightning 2001

Attachments

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
that's pretty funny...reminds of the time i pulled up to a viper at a red light turning onto a highway...man....it was great....his taillights disappeared into the distance in a matter of seconds. unbelievable.

Mike

·
El Mucho Post Whoro
12,140 Posts
Originally posted by: dlighthill
I just got my svt uim and tb put in over the weekend and thought I'd have some fun with an '02 Corvette that was reving his engine this morning on my way to work. I thought he'd pound me into the ground, but it wasn't as bad as I thought...never managed to pull more than 2 car lengths (and I've got an ATX)!
He seemed a little shocked when I kept up.

(mods: Injet intake, Borla exhaust, and now SVT UIm & TB)

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

He probably seemed shocked you didn't sh!t your pants when you found out he was only toying with you. That vette, bone stock, would demolish your modded ATX to the tune of about 4 seconds in a quarter mile.. and that's a lot more than 2 car lengths. Maybe he forgot to put in 2 of the 8 spark plugs when he was doing his tune up?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts