New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have an automatic '99 Cougar 2.5L V6 and it has about 111000 miles on it and i'm glad its gone this far. But a couple days ago it started something really freaky. I will be just driving down the road and after about 5 or 10 min of driving, the RPM's will drop just a little bit, but the car will maintain speed, and then they will jump way up like its about to just take off on its own. And i'm not even pushing the pedal harder or anything. Then, I guess it realizes that i'm not giving it enough gas to go faster and it will drop back down to normal RPM's. And then it goes back and forth. I'm afraid that it will do a number on the gears, reving up and down like that when i'm driving so I'm trying to only drive it when I need to. Someone said that it could be the fuel filter, but its getting enough gas. It just thinks that its getting more than it really is i guess. Is there some kinda of fuel sensor that may be screwed up or is it about to die on me????

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,814 Posts
Sounds like an automatic transmission that is about to die, or a clutch that is slipping like crazy if it has a manual transmission.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, so yeah its an automatic and i am taking the chance and bringing it in to a shop just to see if it can be fixed at all. i told the guy what was goin on with it and he said he thinks its the fuel filter:bs: b/c i haven't had it changed in idk how long. So hopefully he is right but i'm thinking he is not because it just feels a lot worse than a fuel filter. But i'm still open for suggestions!

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,814 Posts
A bad fuel filter would only restrict your fuel delivery, and make your car buck and sputter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah! thats what i thought but i don't think he got what i was saying as far as what it was doing. So i will be more clearer tomorrow or maybe just take him for a ride and show him what its doing. Someone just said that maybe a tranny cooler would work, since it starts after several minutes of driving. good or not?

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,814 Posts
Definitely something everyone should have on an auto; hopefully it's not too late.

I'm a little out of my element already, as I drive a stick; perhaps someone with more experience in CD4E-land will jump in and reply...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts