New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
Great forum, this is my first post and sadly it's about a problem I'm having with my car. I have a 2002 2.5 Duratec and it recently popped up a check engine light. I read the codes and it says fuel rail pressure sensor circuit malfunction.

Problem 1: So I located the fuel rail pressure sensor on the driver's side of the engine and started taking it off. Well, I got it all disconnected on the fuel rail side (only 2 bolts) and took the vac. line off, but I cannot figure out how to disconnect it from the fuel line! Can anyone tell me how to disconnect it from the fuel line?

Problem 2: I cannot find a new one anywhere. Does this part go by a different name or am I looking in the wrong places? Even the dealership didn't see anything in the computer called a fuel rail pressure sensor. Any help finding one?

Problem 3: Since the dealership had no idea what I was asking for, I decided to just put the car back together and drive it to the dealership and show them the part in person. Well, I placed the sensor back in place and tightened the 2 bolts down and it leaks! The car wouldn't even start! When I replace the sensor am I going to have to use some sort of sealant to keep it from leaking or is there a gasket or what? I didn't see any sealant or gasket when I took it off, so I thought I wouldn't need one.

I'm sorry this is so long, but I would very much appreciate any help.
Thanks a lot.

· Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
27,704 Posts
THe sensor disconnects from the fuel line using a special tool, especially made for disconnecting fuel lines. They can be bought at any auto parts store for cheap. Common part.

The sensor leaks now because the o-ring that seals it to the fuel rail is not seated on the sensor correctly. Ther is a blue o-ring that goes around the nipple of the sensor, then it goes into the fuel rail and bolts on. That O-ring has either fallen out entirely, or has been pushed back too far to seal correctly. Take off the sensor and look back inside the fuel rail; you should see it back there, all lost and alone.

I bought the part from a Ford dealership. They pulled up a diagram of the fuel rail and injectors, and I pointed out the part to them. I think it was around $75. They called it a "Fuel Injector Pressure Sensor".

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much!!!

I think I know what you are talking about, those fuel line disconnect tools for fords. I'll go buy one of those tomorrow and take the sensor off and take it up to the dealership to show them/ask them for a fuel injector pressure sensor. Yeah there was definitely no o-ring on the sensor when I was putting it back on! I'll see if I can find it in the fuel rail or maybe it fell of the sensor onto the engine.

I feel good about the prospects of getting something accomplished tomorrow. Thanks again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.