New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to change my fuel pump and I am going to do it myself. I was going to drop the tank and do it that way, but I looked here and saw someone had a link for removing through the back seat, but i think the link is gone now. if someone has it could they re-post it or email it to me EMAIL. Some quetions that maybe could be answered as well. Do I really need to go out and buy some crap to release the fuel pressure or could I remove the fuel line without doing this or making something. Also that "speacial" tool to unscrew the pump from the tank do i really need that tas well.

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
27,685 Posts
To relieve the line pressure, pull the fuel pump fuse under the hood and start the car. It will run FOREVER on residual pressure, but it will eventually sputter and die. Then put a rag over the schrader valve on the fuel rail and press it to release the last bit of pressure left in the line.

I just used a screwdriver and a hammer to unscrew the retaining lock on the pump assembly. Just be SUPER-CAREFUL not to make it spark...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks sounds easy enough. I think I will put something between the srewdriver head and the ring to prevent any sparks.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
I did a search and I can't find it. Can someone please post the how-to, or point me to it if it is online. This is kind of urgent.

Edit: I need it for the replacement fuel pump from BAT.

It is the How-To were you do NOT need to drop the tank.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the hole that is under the seats is not big enough to pull the fuel pump though. But all u need is a pair of tin snips
and just bend the metal back its easy then just seal up after wards. Took be 20mins to replace my pump for the first time
the biggest pain in my a$$ was getting the fuel line off. Just had a old set of ac pullers and had to cut some of the plastic to get it around the line. If i did it again i would go and find the tool to pull the fuel line.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.