New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i have a 99 merc and the other night it started funny and than died. 5 minutes later it started up and i drove it to town. 2 hours later i go to leave and it starts but its not running right and if i pushed the gas it would die. Tried it again and it wouldn't start at all. Next day it starts goes about 10ft and dies again now it wouldn't even start. I was hoping some one could tell me what they think it is. Pump? Filter? Maybe some kind of sensor im not awear of. Any ideas would be great guys.

Thanks
Kevin

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,820 Posts
Sitting quietly in the car, turn the key ON - not start, just ON. You should be able to hear the fuel pump kick on for a second, as it primes the system. If you hear no buzz between the back seats, you need a fuel pump. If you do hear it, we'll need to keep checking.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well just got a chance to look at it, i didn't hear anthing buzzing or anyhting like that. Now my question would be wheres the cheapest site to get a new pump and do i have to drop the fuel tank on it or is there an opening from the inside to the top of the tank? Any other info would be great. Thanks

·
8,583 Posts
Wait, first you're going to need to figure out which fuel pump you need - return or returnless. The return pumps have been pretty reliable, but that's not to say they can't fail. The returnless pumps the cars came with were problematic, but Ford extended the warranty on them and redesigned the pumps to fix the problems. You'd have to take your VIN to the Ford dealer to see if it's eligible for the warranty.

Look under the throttle body and see if there is one fuel line or two. One fuel like is the returnless, two is return.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts