New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I already know the solution to this but I dont want to replace the fuel filter or pump in the sub zero weather. Anyway, I have a 2000 v6 atx with 40,000 miles on it. Just the other day I went to pass someone and the car didnt want to go. It hessitated really bad until I let off the gas alittle. First thing I tried was some higher octane gas. This helped alittle but the hessitation was still there. So seeing as how it has been insanly cold outside I tried some gas line anti-freeze. Also seemed to help but it may just be in my head. The problem is still there. To my knowledge the filter and pump have never been replaced. Like I said I think I know what I need to do but I was hoping someone here may have some suggestions to hold me over till nicer weather.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Get the fuel filter replaced (or do it yourself - howtos are freely available in the How-To forum)... that should be a quick and easy repair that may be the cause of your problems.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Check if the symptom is occuring only when you have less than half a tank of gas. If so, it's a dirty sock on the fuel pump inside the tank. I've cleaned mine twice now, and it instantly resolves the problem.

Massiv.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Try the filter first like the other guy said, it takes like 15 min :)
I had some of the same problem then it went away when i changed the filter. I also had worse mileage too untill the filter change.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts