New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
fuel pump location?

Ive been toying around, taking stuff apart. Anyways, i want to take that black plastic box off the car thats on the underside of the spare wheel well. Ias i was taking it apart i noticed fuel lines run into there, and back out. IS this where the fuel pump is located? I know someone cut out the sparetire wheel well, and when they did that... were did you move the fuel lines too?

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,941 Posts
RE: fuel pump location?

Those are vapor lines, not fuel lines. The fuel pump is INSIDE the tank. That box underneath is the vapor canister.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RE:fuel pump location?

That makes sense. I had my brother turn the key to the on position, while i layed under the car, and taht didnt make a buzzing noise, it sounded like it was from inside the tank.

So what is the purpose of this vapor canister? Is it possible to be moved out of the way? or relocated? The hoses leading to it say "FUEL" on the lines.... I have some hatch plans, and i would like to cut out the spare tire well.

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,941 Posts
THe vapor canister holds gas fumes from the tank in a charcoal canister, rather than dumping them into the atmosphere. There is a solenoid that controls the release of these vapors into the exhaust stream to be burned in the cataytic converter at specific times during the driving cycle

You will throw a CEL if the system isn't sealed and operating correctly, althugh I suppose you could relocate it.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
You can remove or relocate it if you want. With the CEL, ADC gives you the option for "delete it" :naughty:

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
now that i heard i can "delete" this whole thing... id rather do taht. Im trying to get rid of every un-needed function on my car, and make it simple/easy to work on. Thats why im shaving all this stuff, windshield waser lines/tank/nozzles delete. Id eventually like to be off with the EGR, now this vapor canister id like to get rid of, get rid of spare tire wheel well, and everything else i dont need to have a cluttler free cougar

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
I talked to Shawn at ADC and thats what he said with the charcoal canister. I would call him up to confirm.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.