New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i just got a dual borla exhaust put on my 02 cougar and for some reason it seems to eat ALOT more gas, at first i thought there was something hooked up wrong then i thought maybe it just has to be broken in...can you guys let me know what is or could be the problem?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
you like the sound so much you keep pushing that pedal down farther and farther so you can hear it.

other than that an exhaust shouldn't cause bad gas milage unless the installers broke something else.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Originally posted by: BrantlyJ
y
other than that an exhaust shouldn't cause bad gas milage unless the installers broke something else.
yea that and...

how many miles on your car?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Well one thing that May help you. Unhook your battery cables... and let your car sit a couple hours, or overnight. Then hook everything back up and drive like an old woman, the ECU will learn your driving style and probably increase your gas mileage....

Also, Check Engine Lights will screw your gas Mileage all to hell. Mine went from 35 avg. for a v6 MTX to 25, after the magical light came on :(

G

·
Dude, a better flowing exhaust will not cause miles/galons to go down, unless like stated above something is wrong, or more than likely your foot got a little bit heavy. I got the borla and had better mpg... :shrug:

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok guys well i know its not the lead foot to hear "borla" because i have been sure not to do that to make sure that is not the problem but i guess i will try to battery cable thing and thenif that still doesnt work i will put it in the shop to check it out because it doesnt even sound too well but god just my luck....oh b.t.w. someone tried stealing my baby last night :( didnt succeed so they decided to smack my whole car up with a crow bar...thank god for full coverage ill post pics on a different thread :(

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
When I installed my intake, my fuel economy went up. When I later put on a brullen Y-pipe, and custom SS magnalflow exhaust, my economy went down sharply. Yeah, I drive pretty hard, but was surprised to see the economy drop. My theory, suddenly more air is going through the engine. More air needs more fuel. It's not a free giveaway. The MAF reads more air going through, computer dumps more fuel, you get more power, economy goes down.

Massiv.

G

·
if you want to increase mpg for very little money you could always try an everclear/gasoline mixture to increase power output and decrease harmful exhaust hydrocarbons. Due to this mixture burning more efficiantly it will also increase hp.

·
Registered
404 Posts
All I have to say is :banhim: and his Honduh. Oh and while you're at it Peenus why don't you just run straight alcohol and see how much faster you'll be then the other 400 civics you see everyday. :disgust:

Just for reference I've looked through all his posts and he's just saying stuff to confuse the guys that don't know much about cars, but wording it so it sounds feasible. Once again :banhim: back to the land of coffee can mufflers and TypeR stickerz.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts