New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please do not respond with......why would you do that, it increases understeer.....crap like that........I have been looking for a larger than stock front swaybar, to help/dominate in hadling. I've been looking for months now and can't find one.. Any idea where I can find one? Could I get a fabricator to make me one that would fit/work/be safe? Thanks for the input.

G

·
theres a good reason u cant find one.....Nobody makes a larger.....cause it does increase understeer. HAVE A NICE DAY

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
I have been looking for a larger than stock front swaybar, to help/dominate in hadling
please tell us, why you beleive a larger front sway bar will help/dominate in the handling department?

CAUSE IT DOESN'T....

It will in fact decrease your handling capabilities... heck the only thing it will do is make your car not corner as well.... and it will DEFINETELY increase understeer.... there is a reason why the Contour SVT came with a smaller front sway bar... that's because it HELPS in the handling department...

yeah i know you asked not to get this kind of response, but you are misguided my friend.

·
Premium Member
5,052 Posts
Yes, I'll step in too.
You are heading in the wrong direction if you want "dominant" handling. Someone gave you incorrect info.
The Smaller SVT front Sway bar, would be the way to go, your only option.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
......hmm appears I am mislead.....but why on my good friends civic did his handling increase 10 fold......do they have an abundance of oversteer?

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
Often many people misunderstand understeer as better handling. This is just to the passenger or driver. Basically understeer makes the front of the car feel as if it is always going where you point it. And if you use very sticky tires to keep that rear down, you probably won't spin out.

But, there is an optimal offset of sway bar sizes. It is possible his rear was very large and the front was very small. If weight distribution shifts, that will also lay into sway bar sizes.

Some people have 500lb stereo systems in the trunk of their car, and that really moves the car closer to that 50/50 split.

So, first get your weight distribution to as close to a 50/50split as possible. Get a set of asjustible strut/springs, and adjust accordingly, then increase chassis rigidity with strut tower bars and sub frame connectors, get some motor mount inserts (or fill them, or get solid ones), and then when all is set and done, see where the car still needs some tuning. A larger rear sway bar may still be warranted if that weight distribution is still more on the front, and since the car is still a FWD car.

After all of that, get a LSD, and some good tires, and your car will handle very very well. Simple enough huh??

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
Originally posted by: JohnnyRed
......hmm appears I am mislead.....but why on my good friends civic did his handling increase 10 fold......do they have an abundance of oversteer?
just a hunch, but maybe his existing sway bar and/or end links were broken? maybe even a bad sway bar bushing, or perhaps a loose bolt?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts