New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished replacing my front struts. Did the right side first not knowing it was going to be all the difficult as I have wrenched on many autos over my life. many !
Took me 20 hours and half way through I decided I wasn't going to be able to get it done. Tried to tow it to a shop but they told me they didn't want it as it was the strut from Hell. No kidding.

The left side had lost all of it's fluid in the shock so I should have started with it first.

I know of a few ways it can't be done. Drove it for over a year with this failure. Ugggggg !!

The second side took my at least 12 hours and I had to drill two holes in the top of the shock town to fit the spring clamp threaded rod past the springs. Isn't room to do it any other way.

Then the bottom of the strut needs to come out of the hub to be able to reinstall the new one. I also replaced the lower ball joints.
WHAT A RELIEF to be finished !!!!!!!!!

This was probably the worst mechanical job I can remember doing which is saying quite a bit. With only 115k on the od, I was bummed that I had this failure but what's a mother to do except fix it.

Also had my rotor rust on the hub and it took finely some heat to get it off.
Anyone else done this job? I have the 2.0L Zetec w/ manual trans.

Got 44.7 mpg on today's outing. I have seen 110 mph ( I think there must be a governor here ) a few times and really love the way it handles and drives.

Now my gas gauge has failed and the tank is empty when it still reads just under 1/4 tank. Not looking forward to fixing this either. lol
Would anyone recommend replacing the fuel pump while I am at it?

my day to rant... sorry

Richard

·
Registered
161 Posts
Weird, I think it took less than 30 minutes to do one side. Remove axle nut, push down control arm and remove ball joint, remove sway bar bolt, brake line bolt, remove strut pinch bolt, remove top bolt on top of strut tower and out it came. Rear ones are more difficult, probably another 5 minutes more a piece. I think we replaced all 4 in 3 hours complete.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Not with OEM springs. The complete assembly are tall AF. You need every hair of space you can get to get them *****es out.

·
Administrator
24,234 Posts
Oem’s are still pretty easy on a 2-bolt setup. I had the suspension on and off my old 99 several times while troubleshooting.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just did the rears on my $350 beater, replaced wheel bearing/hub/rotor/pads/calipers/swaybar links while i was at it, seemed like a good time to do it all. I had a hell of a time getting the new struts to seat in the knuckle, made a wedge to spread it out some but the last half inch took some hammering. Also had to cut the torx bolts to the caliper mount, used a pipe wrench on one side to get them out but the passenger side wouldnt allow me to get the top bolt, i think that design is a fail, such a pain to get them out without stripping even with heat, but this car sat for over a year and needed alot of tlc and I managed to get the rear end done in 4-5 hours with all the bs that was making it more work than need be. Next up is the front suspension, doing pretty much the whole lot except the inner tie rods. Every time I work on the car i seem to gain a new vocabulary in swearing and demeaning statements, it would make any drill sgt proud.

·
Registered
28 Posts
okay, im from minneasota and even i say thats way to cold to even think about working on my car, but your from keh'bec so maybe your a bit more adventurous eh?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts