New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for one in decent shape, hopefully with mounting hardware.

·
Registered
45 Posts

This is from a 99 so I can't say if they changed them for the 01/02 so it may not be what you're looking for. As for hardware you take some big self tapping screws and punch holes right in the front of your pristine bumper shell... I honestly thought I threw this ugly POS in the trash years ago, but if you for some reason want to ruin your bumper and can figure out a way to get it to you then it's yours.

(It looks damp because it was covered in dust and I rinsed it off)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found one on Ebay but would've definitely taken this one.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
I have to say, as far as ugly POS license plate holders go, ours is actually fairly nice looking. Better than most cars, really.
I still wouldnt put one on a fresh new bumper, but I also wouldn't take it off an old bumper unless I were going to fill the holes and repaint.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine had two uneven holes from the PO so I had to do something. I like the tag idea on my avatar but not the font. So, my gf had this one made. Since the XR badging is so discrete (only 2), I thought a front plate was a good idea. Besides, most people including Ford/Cougar peeps think it's something like a Celica.

BTW I'm told there's a difference between the 99-00 and 01-02 (of course) but haven't been able to verify other than I had to slightly modify the inside bottom of this one to lay flat. I trimmed it with scissors.

·
Administrator
24,403 Posts
Yeah the 99-00 plate mount seen above has the little divot in the bottom to go around the center support of the lower grille. The 01-02 lower grille doesn't have that center support.

Reactions: JustToddSC

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah the 99-00 plate mount seen above has the little divot in the bottom to go around the center support of the lower grille. The 01-02 lower grille doesn't have that center support.
I just snipped a bit of the edges off the divots so the mount rests more vertically. Now those uneven holes are covered and a pretty cool front tag. I'll probably black out the screws also.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts