New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is just a quick question thread which will (hopefully) morph into a 'look at this and drool!' thread. Since I've owned the car, I can't, for the life of me, get to look past the lip on the front bumper cover, between the headlights and the lower grille. It irks me to see it jutting out, cutting the front end in half like a big set of braces. I don't know if I'm alone here.

I took a few moments to check it out today: the wheel well curvature can be re-done & all the mounting points are easy enough to modify. the composite / plastic bumper behind the cover is the only real issue; I figure I could weld up a custom one out of square steel or something similar so it can clear the bumper cover.

has anyone ever pushed back the bumper an inch or two to eliminate that lip?

·
5,237 Posts
Not that I'm aware of. Is there actually room under the cover to move it back? The white plastic impact bumper, the "actual bumper" (name?), is under the cover. I wouldn't want to mess with that.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not that I'm aware of. Is there actually room under the cover to move it back?
unfortunately, no, there isn't. the impact bumper is right on it. I could trim the bumper (no-no, it's ends are shaped in a certain way for a reason I'm sure), move the fender's point of contact back (work intensive), or replace the bumper with a different one.

My old Dakota's front bumper was one big metal beam, meant to fold upon impact. my newer hyundai had a curved metal bumper behind it's cover. this is the first plastic bumper I've encountered. I'll do some measuring and see if I can figure something out.

thanks for the interest! :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts