New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day folks. I just replaced my front wheel bearings and the most difficult part of the job other than rusty bolts was the strut that goes in the steering knuckle. It took me almost one hour per side to jack up the strut and fight to align it with the steering knuckle. The issue is room to work the jack in that tight location, the jack kept rolling due to the fact that you cant push it straight up. Now does anyone have a simpler way of putting the strut back into the knuckle? Thanks any assistance would be most appreciated. I have also fought with the rear ones. Same issue. Thanks in advance.

·
Administrator
24,437 Posts
I always drive a chisel into the gap in the knuckle to spread it as much as I can. The strut usually just drops right in.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Grind the rivets out of the ball joint then replace the rivets with bolts. Then you can just unbolt the ball joint.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Jack up the strut?
Are you not using spring compressors?
If not, that would be step 1.
2. Sometimes the axle slips outward a little bit and misaligns everything and you cant see it so you don't even know what your fighting. Make sure the axle is pushed all the way in. (Drivers side)
3. Bigger hammers and longer prybars
4. The ball joint rivet vs bolt trick is tough to embrace psychologically, but it really does make a world of difference.
5. You can lower the subframe a bit too. That will get you some extra wiggle room.

The rear should be much easier. If your having trouble getting the little ledge on the subframe under the strut, just lower the subframe. Or you can slowly lower the car down onto its wheels and guide the strut over the subframe as you go.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Moog ballpoint replacement kits come with bolts. I've had mine done this way for over a decade with 0 issues. It really makes working on the suspensions much easier.

·
Premium Member
2,166 Posts
Dan, he's talking about the strut into the knuckle, not the ball joint into the knuckle.

Other than wedging a screw driver or cold chisel into the gap, I'd recommend cleaning up the bore of the knuckle with a flap wheel, get it really clean, take off a bit of material. It is a tight fit from the factory, rust makes it so much worse too. Use a creeping film type oil on the bore when you put it back together too, something like Fluid Film or Woolwax will help reduce rust next time.

·
Administrator
24,437 Posts
Fluid Film! I've heard great things about that stuff; I have been meaning to order some...

·
Banned
1 Posts
Good day folks. I just replaced my front wheel bearings and the most difficult part of the job other than rusty bolts was the strut that goes in the steering knuckle.
It took me almost one hour per side to jack up the strut and fight to align it with the steering knuckle.

The issue is room to work the jack in that tight location, the jack kept rolling due to the fact that you cant push it straight up.

Now does anyone have a simpler way of putting the strut back into the knuckle? Thanks any assistance would be most appreciated.

I have also fought with the rear ones. Same issue.

Thanks in advance.
Leaving a jack up overnight is dangerous to the car and its surroundings. Not so much to the jack per se, but even the slightest leak can cause it to collapse over time. Also the jack, like a torque wrench, should be stored with the valve open and the jack dropped, to reduce issues with the spring.

EDIT: I'm just a moron here to shill Jeep parts on a Cougar website. I eat my own poop.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Stuart I know exactly what he's talking about. I was just stating how to make it significantly easier to disassemble the suspension in the future. Having unboltable balljoint removes the need to compress the spring in any way. You simply unbolt the ball joint and pull the base of the strut outward. You can then slide the knuckle straight off the strut with no troubles.

·
Premium Member
2,166 Posts
Ah, that makes sense.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts