New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I work at a junk yard and a svt contour showed up with only 116 000kms.
Took me a bit to find the keys. (Under the seat rail.) Has a smashed rad and windshield.
Hooked up my booster pack and started her up. Ran good so I quickly drove it behind the shop and shut it off.
I have my 2002 mercury cougar and I am thinking I might swap it.
Who else has a svt in there cougar?
My only concern is the computer compatibility. Chipped key and that.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Its possible but I believe the fuel systems are different. The contour should be the return style system and your cougars returnless.

·
Administrator
15,431 Posts
Not sure that's worth the work to swap it...most people install a 3 liter instead. You can do lots of reading here in the 3L section about those swaps.

What year is the SVT? If it's a 2000 the fuel system will be returnless, just like your Cougar.

There are other differences between the engines (from 99/00 to 01/02 style) though, so you'll need to swap the following parts from your Cougar engine to the SVT engine before it goes in the Cougar:

Rear valve cover
Coil pack
Timing cover
Alternator and bracket
Both the injector and main wiring harnesses
Both exhaust manifolds (but this would be a good time to install headers)
EGR tube
DPFE sensor

Is your Cougar a 5 speed? If it is, and as long as the Contour is a 2000 you can install the SVT ECU in your Cougar. Pop open the little door on the Contour's key and carefully remove the chip and use it to replace the chip in your Cougar's key.

If your Cougar is an automatic you will not be able to use the SVT ECU so you'll have to look at some custom tuning to take advantage of the SVT engine (but the gains will be very minimal).

If the Contour is not a 2000 and doesn't have a returnless fuel system, you'll need the fuel rail from your Cougar and you'll need to source a set of the green SVT 19lb returnless injectors. You'll also need to source an SVT ECU with the PATS chip for your key.

·
Administrator
24,224 Posts
Yeah SVT swaps are pretty easy on 99-00 manual-trans cars. Lots of sticking points to address on 01-02's and an automatic transaxle is a total no-go.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another question is I pulled the motor out of the 2000 and put it into my 02. And I have been using that motor ever since I put it in three years ago. So why is it easier on a 2000 than 02 I just have to change a few of the accessories and wiring. And exhaust. And both cars are V6 manuals

·
Administrator
24,224 Posts
Yeah, it's the accessories and wiring that you have to watch.

As Wade mentioned, only the 2000 SVT Contours had a returnless fuel system (ECU code XGT1), so if it's an older SVT, the computer won't work in a returnless Cougar without some serious work on the entire fuel system, pump, regulator/sensor, injectors, wiring, and vacuum systems.

Also the 01-02 Cougars only had 3 oxygen sensors; all SVT Contours had 4, like the 99-00 Cougar does.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, it's the accessories and wiring that you have to watch.

As Wade mentioned, only the 2000 SVT Contours had a returnless fuel system (ECU code XGT1), so if it's an older SVT, the computer won't work in a returnless Cougar without some serious work on the entire fuel system, pump, regulator/sensor, injectors, wiring, and vacuum systems.

Also the 01-02 Cougars only had 3 oxygen sensors; all SVT Contours had 4, like the 99-00 Cougar does.

Ok. That makes sense. I'll sit on it for a bit

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
The wiring for the entire car is different with a return fuel system versus a returnless. Due to the fuel pump driver module in the drivers rear quarter panel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts