New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks For Everyones Help IN my post a couple fo days ago.. If you are experience a lack of power sluggish performance do this.. I relplaced my ignition coil pack(dealer cost 91.64 retail 160.) Bought 6 Autolight Double PLatinum pregappeed plugs. Got new ford racing wires $40 bucks from www.BAT.com shipped ups. also bought a new torque wrench $35.Basically get a free torque wrench by doing this job yourself. $4 Flexible conduit(i got matching blue to match racing wires) get this because some of the wire lays along hot part oif the engine you will not even stock wires has some conduit protecting them.Dont skip this because plug wires melting or shorting laying on a hot engine will shorten your wire life, also it looks very nice with matching conduit on.(pics to follow).You do not have to remove UIM to do this job.. remove cables from battery(always do this when working on your engine..)(unless you like to zzzap your system).Remove old ignition coil pack(four bolts on ignition coil, it connects to plug wiresalso remember there is a ground and an electrical cluster that connect to two different bolts on the coil. after removing the coil remove all old plug wires(mark cylinders with a pencil so you dont forget on the reinstall..in case you smoke a blunt or drink a twelve pack while doing the job.. or both ;)..remove old plugs..then reverse process on the reinstall.. Set torque wrench to 25lbs on plug install the heads on this engine are aluminum and not using a torque wrench could damage your engine!!! The tuffest plug is cylinder #3 use a nice extension and a joint to access this plug. also use a rubber inner plug puller to yank the plugs makes it alot easier or for you old shade tree guys use some masking tape inside your socket to pull the plug easier. Replace battery terminals. Restart your engine rmember to let it run for ten minutes so the computer can learn its new founded power! If Ford woulda only spent 100 more dollars per car and rolled them off the line like this..Plugs and wires dont give you more horsepower but they sure do give you the horses you never got to enjoy back!!!!! Becoming a believer..What is the best CAI for this baby? I Like that Titan but im in FL and worry about those terrential downpour rainy seasons!!! ANy advice ???
NegDog

·
Buyer Beware
6,575 Posts
I have driven my cougar without a FenderLiner or Filter Splash sheild in heavy rain many times with my GMK CAI. It wont hurt your car or your filter, the filter will just get dirty faster.

I designed the gmk cai to be as short as possible so that it will make the most power and it wont be too low (to avoid deep puddles)

I also now offer a an optional Splash Sheild for those without a Fender Liner.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
CONGRATS ON THE PLUG WIRE INSTALL AND THE TIPS!!!

i sure can use this post when I install them on my car.

:banana: :banana:

·
8,627 Posts
I asked this before, and I got a negative answer, but NegDog didn't mention it: do the 9 mm wires fit in the factory holders? Or do I have to change the holders? If I do have to change them, where can I find 9 mm wire holders? I checked a couple places yesterday, and none of them had them...

Thanks.
--RJ

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm also interested in getting a set of Ford racing wires, but I really don't want to use wire ties on the old holders. Checking the Ford Racing site the only thing I could find on holders was:

SPARK PLUG WIRE DIVIDER
Complete your engine dress-up with distinctive “Motorsport” wire dividers.
• Available in three color combinations.
• Position between loom holders to keep wires neatly routed.
• Packaged in sets of four dividers each.
Suggested Retail $6.95
Catalog Page 28
M-12297-R03 (Red of course)

Are these the ones?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
exactly what i did dremmelled out stock holders -then primered with high temp engine primer.. then finished with matching blue high temp paint.. and came out sweet pics coming soon...I also used some moroso trees to finish them off.. Dont forget to wrap the ford racing wires with conduit on the parts that lay across angine.. this will lengthen the life..
*woof*

·
8,627 Posts
Although I'm quite handy with a Dremel tool, I'd rather just get the correct holders for several reasons. Can anyone answer Red99Cougar's question?

Also, what's the Ford Racing site's URL?

Thanks.
--RJ

·
8,627 Posts
I got mine from http://www.batinc.net at the recommendation of DanG. I think the price was about the same as that listed.

The Ford site doesn't work for me. It loads fine but clicking on any of the links produces no result. Guess I won't be shopping there.

--RJ

·
Registered
107 Posts
So, will these fit in a 2002 v6 coog?

I read somewhere that they only fit the 99-00 coogs.

·
Registered
58 Posts
From Ford Racing site:
M-12259-C625** (1) 2.5L V-6 Cougar/Contour Blue 45° Long Boot 9mm
M-12259-R625** (1) 2.5L V-6 Cougar/Contour Red 45° Long Boot 9mm
M-12259-Y625** (1) 2.5L V-6 Cougar/Contour Yellow 45° Long Boot 9mm
(1) Fit 1998-99 only. 2000-02 will not fit.

From BAT site:
Wire Set Ford Motorsport 9mm (2.5 6cyl*) K9HM- $47.50
*not for 2002 Cougar

The only confusing point would be does it fit the 2001 Cougar? One says it will not fit and the other doesn't say.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I didn't catch those. What would be a good alternative? The Vitek ones on custom cougars? I think I heard someone say moroso.

And thanks by the way.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Well i did my plugs and wires in the fridged new england cold last night but it was worth it. I noticed and incredible power difference. Stopped in the middle of the and burned a 20ft strip of rubber. Not bad in an ATX. The car feels better now than when i initially installed my SVT setup. It's got a helluva lotta torque steer to it. Cruising at about 30-35 and just stomping on it, it wants to go all over the road..... Now why couldn't i have realized to do this earlier???

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.