New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ford Extends Warranty to 10 years on Focus Fuel pumps & new pump design-What about us?

My parents own a 2001 Ford Focus and just got a notice that the warranty on the fuel pumps on the 2000-2001 Ford Focus cars will be extended, for one-time only, to 10 years and there is a new pump design coming out to be available later in January 2004!!!!

:rofl: WHERE THE HELL IS THE 10 YEAR EXTENSION OF THE WARRANTIES ON OUR FUEL PUMPS :confused: Why only the Focus - don't our fuel pump problems count! Don' t we deserve a new fuel pump design too? How many $100,000's have been spent by our fellow Cougar owners to deal with the fuel pump problems?

We need to get Ford to take car of us too! I suggested in a post I did last July, we should get an extended warranty for our fuel pumps too! For those who had out of warranty failures they should ALL be reimbursed a reasonable rate of their losses.

A lot of us must make some noise to Ford in letters and e-mails to get them to include 1999-2002 Cougars in the same deal and maybe salvage some future customers of Ford products from instead choosing a competitor's - especially Honda & Toyota - :mad:

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
RE:Ford Extends Warranty to 10 years on Focus Fuel pumps & new pump design-What about us?

For some reason Ford loves the Focus, probably since it's more of a versatile platform with 3 distinct configurations i.e. ZX3, ZX5, & whatever the hell they call that sedan. Even with the problems it had they've carried on with it. Didn't they have to replace the half-shafts or something because there was a chance of the whole damn wheel coming off? Somehow i see that as more significant of a problem than the ones inherent with our cars.

Bottom line, Mercury is the bastard child of Ford, the CDW-27 platform was only surviving in the Cougar, and once they killed the model they cut ties with us. If they cared they'd do something about the fuel pump, alt, and even cat converter problems.

·
Registered
597 Posts
RE:Ford Extends Warranty to 10 years on Focus Fuel pumps & new pump design-What about us?

I think ignernt hit it on the head. The Focus is a current production vehicle and the Cougars are not. I also have a 2000 Focus ZTX and I got that Ford fuel pump extended warranty notice a few weeks ago. I guess they want to keep current Focus owners happy so it won't hurt future sales huh?

But I must say, I've been pretty lucky with both the Cougar and the Focus, neither one has had any fuel pump problems so far. Now watch, since I just said that......one of them will crap out on me now........... :rofl:

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
RE: Ford Extends Warranty to 10 years on Focus Fuel pumps & new pump design-What about us?

Yes, it is clearly a situatuion where the Focus is the "do no wrong kid" of the Ford family...and the Cougar/Mystique/Contour was the bastard step child.

Ford wants the Focus to be a staple, almost flagship vehicle of the Ford fleet. It was the first in the "put the F back in Ford" campaign, and they will do anything to make sure the Focus stays in good standing.

Not to mention, the problems with the Focus fuel pumps FAR outweigh the problems the 00+ Cougars have had.

·
Registered
4,959 Posts

Originally posted by: Fett
Not to mention, the problems with the Focus fuel pumps FAR outweigh the problems the 00+ Cougars have had.
How the **** is that possible? :biggrin:

G

·
RE: Ford Extends Warranty to 10 years on Focus Fuel pumps & new pump design-What about us?

How the **** is that possible?
Quality is #1 rite........ main reason why I switched to European manufacturers......

·
Registered
5,817 Posts

Originally posted by: Miez
How the **** is that possible?
Quality is #1 rite........ main reason why I switched to European manufacturers......
You mean like the European designed Focus and Cougar? :biggrin:

·
Buyer Beware
6,575 Posts

Unfortunatly with the cougar and contour out of production there is a small chance Ford will opt to give us said extended warrenty.

However, In my experiance my Cougar has been far more reliable than I had anticipated. Granted European manufacteres do have there faults as well. Dont believe your Audi/vw is high and mighty on the reliablity chain. Vw has been known for problems in the past. Granted at least we dont own a 2nd gen Eclipse with its ill-fated CrankWalk!

·
Registered
4,201 Posts

What is crankwalk?

·
Registered
4,201 Posts

Originally posted by: ignernt
i think it's in reference to when the crankshaft breaks you'll be walking. :)
:biggrin:

I think i understand it a little more as i just got done reading this page.

G

·

You mean like the European designed Focus and Cougar?
You're only telling half the truth, its EURO designed and US BUILT....:(

Trust me, I would've considered buying a FoMoCo product if the Cougar would've been more reliable, however, after having to have the following replaced, partially under warranty and other out of pocket, I decided to let quality win this time.....at least on my mind...;)

5 alternators
2 batteries
4 rotors/4 brake pads
2 doorlocks
1 transmission chip (ecu)
1 fuel pump
1 sunroof
1 remote control device

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.