New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it seems to me that ford is way behind in the shifting department......when i shift to 2nd, im in my back seat, when im in 5th, my hands hanging out the window........i cant remember what mag it was, but they rated the top cars, and one was the 2000 stang cobra r svt or something, it got #2 in its group, only complaint was the shifting aspects.....i have driven many cars, nissans, some honduhs, even toyota, and they are a step-up in my opinion, well, maybe its just me

·
Registered
378 Posts
The reason 5th gear is slow is because it is very tall. It's meant to be an overdrive gear for use mainly on the highway (when cruising at higher speeds). The MTX Cougar is really a 4 speed with over-drive. 1st, 2nd and 3rd are rather close ratio gears used so that the car will rev quickly to make leaving from a stop easier. Fourth is a little less aggressive and fifth is mainly a cruising gear. Hope that helps....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, i never looked at it like that, a 6spd would kick ass on the cat, even tho mine is auto, i have a mtx zx2 though, thats what im talking about

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Yeah, many of the eastern imports have a reputation for having slick shifters, but I still think the MTX-75 is pretty sweet.

Part of it kinda depends on the car, or should we say, its persona. I remember recently an svt 'tour guy test drove a Mustang (GT or Cobra), and commented that the shifter was total crap in comparison...balky, long throws. On the other hand, a musclecar nut will probably tell you that's the way it should be, "Me Tarzan, got strong arm for shifting", get my drift?

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Actually fifth gear in most MTX 5-speeds are an economy gear. Like you said, it is basically an overdrive. But it is not related to only the Cougar.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well I can tell you from driving a TA, a GT Stang, and the coug, that out of the three the coug has the best shifting points for me. The TA is about the same as the coug till you get over to 4-6, then it gets bit awkward. the stang is horrible..hate driving it....definintely not a Tarzan person.
The coug works for me better, because its smooth like the TA, but short enough (the TA and the coug both have short shifters) to not throw like a truck (ahem the mustang feels like this).

·
Registered
770 Posts
I agree that in pretty much any car you buy these days the last gear be it a 5 spd or 6 is overdrive. this means the gear ratio is 1:1 or greater. Unless your doing 140 mph it's not necessary to downshift from 5th to 4th, but instead to just go from 5th to third because the ratio of 5th and 4th gear are already close. Lastly you can have to many gears. 6 gears in a v6 cougar would just be a waiste of time. The torque band is fat enough that you don't need to shift every three seconds to keep it in the sweet spot and the Cougar doesn't have 300 h.p. to warrant more gears because of running out of gearing at top end. I.E. Celicas have six because they have a little micro 4 cylinder with a torque curve as thin as a piece of paper. Camaro's have 6 spds because they have 320 h.p. (and it seemed cool at the time) .

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
<< I agree that in pretty much any car you buy these days the last gear be it a 5 spd or 6 is overdrive. this means the gear ratio is 1:1 or greater. Unless your doing 140 mph it's not necessary to downshift from 5th to 4th, but instead to just go from 5th to third because the ratio of 5th and 4th gear are already close. Lastly you can have to many gears. 6 gears in a v6 cougar would just be a waiste of time. The torque band is fat enough that you don't need to shift every three seconds to keep it in the sweet spot and the Cougar doesn't have 300 h.p. to warrant more gears because of running out of gearing at top end. I.E. Celicas have six because they have a little micro 4 cylinder with a torque curve as thin as a piece of paper. Camaro's have 6 spds because they have 320 h.p. (and it seemed cool at the time) . >>

You are confusing people with fundementals and misinterpretations.

Overdrive means less than a 1:1 gear ratio for a particular gear. Like 0.77:1 for the MTX75 5th gear. Most 5-speed transmissions (manual or auto) have 4th gear being 1:1 or close to it and is sometimes referred to as direct drive. MTX75 is 1.03. That is a huge difference in engine speed in our cars. IIRC, only BMW's 5-speed manual currently has 5th gear being 1:1 with no overdrive. The final drive ratio is much lower than our 4.06:1 to compensate for highway speed driving.

The reason Camaros have 6 gears (5th and 6th being overdrive gears at about 0.75:1 and 0.50:1) is because they have torque at low engine speed. Not because they have 320Hp. 6th gear with enough torque at 1200rpm allows the Camaro to get 30mpg on the highway. Our little V6's couldn't do 5th gear at 1200rpm, no matter what speed it would be at.

Conversely, the S2000 and Celica GTS have 6-speeds because their powerband is so small that you have to lessen the difference between each gear ratio so the engine can stay in high rpm land where the (only) power is. These cars are still turning 3500rpm at 80mph in 6th gears, same as a lot of 5-speeds, so that it can still accelerate reasonably. The Camaro would be turning about 1900rpm at 80mph to get better gas mileage, but has enough torque to still accelerate reasonably.

It's more of a matter where the powerband is, not the quantity of power. An S2000 modified to 320Hp would still need 6 shorter gears as to keep the engine in the 250+hp range and would be driven differently than a Camaro.

The MTX75 works mates well to our cars. I have less experience with the non-SVT, but some. The gears are already relatively short. Any time you cannot hit 60mph in second gear, I think it's pretty short and we fall well short or 6-mph at redline in 2nd gear. Redline shifts out of first gear puts you close to the torque peak in second which would have the largest engine speed drop. The secondaries are still open too. A second overdrive would be nice for those of us that set the cruise control at 80-85mph. However, I stil get 27mpg and the engine doesn't buzz at that speed.

Aaron

·
Registered
770 Posts
Okay so you decided to try and use technical jargon to agree with me and say the same thing, Thank You.
You take time to explain how the powerband of the Celica requires 6 gears to remain in the powerband. HMMMM didn't I just say that? (torque curve) You want to talk about Camaros having so much torque that they can use 6 gears, although I mentioned 320 h.p. we are still talking the same concept. Just as I said the Cougar doesn't have enough power to warrant 6 gears. Isn't that what you also restated? I mean come on now you can get as technical as you want to and start talking thermal units and what ever you want( The cross proportional bi-lateral differential of the MTX-75 equals the circumferance of a bi-podal meat eater). I did make a mistake in talking about the ratio of overdrive being greater than 1:1. I miss spoke when I said greater because it was confusing, but I meant a greater overdrive ratio being actually less numerically. Just like going from a 3.73 gearing to a 4.56 is higher numerically but a lower gear rear end.
Thing is I might not be a rocket scientist, but I still think we are on the same page?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
1st 3.42:1
2nd 2.14:1
3rd 1.45:1
4th 1.03:1
5th 0.77:1
FD 4.06:1

their is a huge jump from 2nd to 3rd, so when you shift from 2 to 3 you better be in a high rpm or you will loose power. gearing has to do with power bands, more gears, more power from the engine at any given point, you can choose a better gear for whatever situation you are in. thats why a camaro has a 6 speed, for a celica, its simply a selling point. it could do with the same 5 speed gearing as the GT.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ssix. I didn't mean to imply you were wrong. I was just clarifying. We are on the same page, but some points were not quite right. But you gave good layman's terms.

<< You want to talk about Camaros having so much torque that they can use 6 gears, although I mentioned 320 h.p >>

Hp and torque are different, although related by some formula I didn't learn as I was a Computer Engineering student, just at an ME auto based school. Hmm, I can't think of a better example than the S2000. Lots of high rpm power, but little low rpm torque. So I elevated the Hp numbers to match a Camaro as some serious mod would do. It would not change the engine characteristics. The point is, that a Celica or S2000 in 6th gear at 2000rpm will not pull anything like a Camaro 6-speed does.

<< ...the ratio of overdrive being greater than 1:1... >>

That is correct. Your original post said 1:1 or greater. I was just clarifying that 1:1 is not overdrive, just greater than 1:1 (technically lower number like you said.

Aaron

·
Registered
770 Posts
Hey I want to apologize to you, I read my post again replying to you and I came off pretty harsh. Glad we are on the same page.
I def. am not a know it all.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
The Cougar's shifting isn't the greatest in the world but its descent. The sweetest and slickest shifting car I've ever driven was a Miata 5spd from a few years back. I've also had some experience driving cars with the late Borg-Warner trannies since most of my car buddies are Mustang or Camaro guys. Nevermind the gear ratios, those trannies feel like they were made for trucks!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
<< Hey I want to apologize to you, I read my post again replying to you and I came off pretty harsh. Glad we are on the same page. I def. am not a know it all >>

None necessary. I am by no means an expert as well. I do have more than average experience with some auto and stereo things which I try to add when possible. We can all learn something every day. That's why we are here.

Aaron

·
Registered
394 Posts
APTCSVT: I must say dude that you are a knowledgeable individual or a total bullshitter! I've have never heard such word out of someone's mouth! You remind me of those mechanic's on T.V.

Or like that commercial for Holiday Inn Express! " I'm not really a scientist, but I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn express last night!" Good **** hehehehe!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.