New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So ladies and gentlemen, what is the probability of maiting the Ford 500 AWD system to the cougar.

(Just looking for speculative comments)

The 500 limited is running a Duratec 3L w/VVT I believe.

The reason I ask is because if you were to compare part cost with lets say the X-Type I am sure this system would be much cheaper to obtain, although more fabrication might need to be done, finding a wrecked out mass produced car might be quite easy. Almost as easy as finding a wrecked Taurus. etc..

Any Comments?

[GnuLoCo]

·
Premium Member
8,094 Posts
Originally posted by: Miez
Whats a Ford 500
An POOR try by Ford to imitade Audi, to replace its Taurus.
yeah, sure is really poor. you know nothing about the car, never driven it, never sat in one.. god it sure is such a pos! reserve judgements until the car is out. just because you're an unreasonable, crabby customer concerning a COUGAR has no bearing on how the five hundred will perform.

and for your information, not that you're too interested in the truth here, but the five hundred is NOT a taurus replacement. the Futura will be in a cuple years, but i'm sure that'll be suchhhh a huge pos as well. the five hundred is more of a competitor to larger cars like the toyota avalon.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well here are some comparison pics of the Xtype, 500, and Escape. Enjoy..

FORD 500

FORD ESCAPE

JAGUAR XTYPE

[GnuLoCo]

·
Premium Member
8,300 Posts
Note the integrated strut tower bar with engine stabilizer ... the car should be fairly refined from the looks of it. I will reserve judgement until I have a chance to drive one ;)

M

·
0 Posts
yeah, sure is really poor. you know nothing about the car, never driven it, never sat in one.. god it sure is such a pos! reserve judgements until the car is out. just because you're an unreasonable, crabby customer concerning a COUGAR has no bearing on how the five hundred will perform
Wow, you're NOT having the greatest morning, aren't you....first off, let me re-iterate that I was merely referring to the looks of the 500. Furthermore, its a shared opionon with many other car enthousiast critics, heck, its even confirmed by Ford themselves, also understanding that they cannot reach Audi level design (as read in the NY Times, who interviewed FoMoCo 500 design chief).

Quote from NYT
The 2005 Ford Five Hundred sedan has Audi-like lines. "You can never look too much like an Audi, can you?" asked J Mays, Ford's chief of design who was once also responsible for Audi styling. But future Audis won't look like current Audis, to judge from the company's LeMans Quattro concept, a sports car that builds on the new look with an oversize grille that is being evolved from those on previous design studies.
Secondly. my opinion regarding the Cougar is not reflecting my opinion regarding the 500, its is for crying outloud, and this is MY OPINION, adding absolutetly NO VALUE AT ALL to the new car lign up as being renewing/revitilizing.

Thank you very much for the personal attack N!CK :evil:

O

·
0 Posts
back on topic...
the 500 awd system looks more feasible, spring on strut assembly like ours. just probably wont line up as easy as i figure the 500 chassis will be wider, where as the x type is almost identical to ours. someone stay on top of this so when my engine is done i have somewhere to go.

·
El Mucho Post Whoro
12,140 Posts
Quoted from Miez:
Furthermore, its a shared opionon with many other car enthousiast critics, heck, its even confirmed by Ford themselves, also understanding that they cannot reach Audi level design (as read in the NY Times, who interviewed FoMoCo 500 design chief).

Quote from NYT
The 2005 Ford Five Hundred sedan has Audi-like lines. "You can never look too much like an Audi, can you?" asked J Mays, Ford's chief of design who was once also responsible for Audi styling. But future Audis won't look like current Audis, to judge from the company's LeMans Quattro concept, a sports car that builds on the new look with an oversize grille that is being evolved from those on previous design studies.
Actually, if you read carefully, that excerpt says the 500 Sedan has Audi-like lines, bolstered by a comment from J Mays about how you can never look too much like an Audi (Because Audi styling is a good thing), and that J Mays was also responsible for Audi styling at one point, hence his comment 'You can never look too much like an Audi.'.

You're interpreting it completely incorrectly, as they never mention once about reaching 'Audi-level' design. And there's no comment in there about Audi being the absolute pinnacle of automotive styling (Because honestly, it's not). ;)

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Isn't Ford 500 based on the Volvo S80/XC90 platform? I would think trying to use the Volvo AWD system on the Cougar will be pretty difficult. You will have better luck with X-Type or Escape.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
BTW, is that hump on top of 500's engine the variable valve timing cam?

why is the 500's Duratec so much taller than Escape's Duratec?!?

·
Registered
110 Posts
I would just to like to say in defense of the ford 500 where do you get that there trying to intimidate audi the ford 500 is modeled after the already out around the world Ford Mondeo. go to the England site and look at the ford mondeo tell me it isn't the ford 500.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Originally posted by: ov3n
Whats a Ford 500
yeah, sure is really poor. you know nothing about the car, never driven it, never sat in one.. god it sure is such a pos! reserve judgements until the car is out. just because you're an unreasonable, crabby customer concerning a COUGAR has no bearing on how the five hundred will perform.

and for your information, not that you're too interested in the truth here, but the five hundred is NOT a taurus replacement. the Futura will be in a cuple years, but i'm sure that'll be suchhhh a huge pos as well. the five hundred is more of a competitor to larger cars like the toyota avalon.

Actually, your both wrong, and both right. Ford is replacing the Taurus with TWO new vehicles. The 500 and the Futura. and yes the 500 is more of a competition towards the Avalon and the new Futura will be smaller. The relationship between them will resemble Avalon and Camry. (futura being camry in this example)

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Originally posted by: ov3n
Whats a Ford 500

someone beat me to it :)

but i did sit in one at the AutoShow last month. its nice. I like it. Ford will be dropping the taurus and I am happy about that because well....(trying to be polite) they've outplayed thier time.

·
Premium Member
8,300 Posts
Read the last paragraph in this article ... the Mazda 6 platform will be getting a lot of play soon!

http://www.edmunds.com/news/autoshows/articles/96999/page004.html

What interest me most is that the Mazda 6 platform will be used for a redesigned X-Type, which comes standard with AWD ... there is potential there that it will bolt up to the 6 if it's not offered as an option later down the line.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts