New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
So its begun.....
16,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those with side exit exhausts...

What kind of tip did you use and how bad is your rattle if any? I have a camaro type tip welded to the piping and between 2500-3000rpm's it sounds like its rattling. I haven't had the chance to look at it first hand yet. I'm going to take it back ot the shop today on my lunch to see if there is anything they can do about it. Any suggestions? Thanks.

·
So its begun.....
16,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RE: For those with side exit exhausts...

I'll post them later today...I just got back from the shop, it looks like it may be my tip doing it. The edges of it are bent in and at 2500 RPM's it rattles like a mug. So I may try to perform surgery on it tonight. Or wait till monday and take the car back to the shop.

·
So its begun.....
16,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RE:For those with side exit exhausts...

PICS HERE!

G

·
Hey looks really good, the first time i had ever seen that done. I thought it wasnt possible becuase of the situation with the fuel lines and stuff and it becomes dangerous? About your vibration, not sure, is there something you could do the reinforce those tips so there isnt as much up/down play?? what is rattling, is it hitting the body?

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
what brand muffler did you buy? if its a flowmaster i think theyre supposed to make a buzz/drone/raspy noise at around that rpm

Try wedging a little rubber block or something between the tip and that seam lip underneath the car. It may be the muffler hitting the heat shielding up front too

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
you can have a side exit with a single exhaust, because the exhaust exits on the opposite side of the fuel lines. I still have yet to see someone with dual exhaust on both sides of the car.

Mike

·
So its begun.....
16,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by: 99CouGSweetRide
you can have a side exit with a single exhaust, because the exhaust exits on the opposite side of the fuel lines. I still have yet to see someone with dual exhaust on both sides of the car.

Mike
The shop almost talked me into doing them ;). But I'd rather not take the risk driving m kids around in there. Its a MagnaFlow muffler and tip. Believe it or not that tip is not moving anywhere. We looked it over at the shop and it seems to be the folded edges vibrating. I'm going to take it back next week and let them keep it for most of the day while I'm at work so they can fix it. :) Thanks for the feedback guys. FYI IIRC SeaWolf had side exit and Uridian still does..Not to sure on anyone else. Thanks again guys. I'll have them check the muffler as well.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
My side exhaust sounded like that when I first got it last summer. So did the Trubendz duals. It was just a matter of time till it went away. Now the only unnecessary noise I get is when I remove all pressure from the accelerator without pressing the clutch. Everyonce in a while it will let out a little backfire as the engine winds down. Since your set up is new, I would give it a month or so to allow the pipes to expand and contract before I worried about noise. If it was rattling against the frame, you would hear it while driving over railroad crossings. I really don't see how the lip of a tip could cause rattle.

·
So its begun.....
16,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Mindtrip. Going over railraod tracks and through big dips it does just fine. The outter lip of the tip is folded in and kinda close to the inside of the tip, at a particulatr frequency when its vibrating just right those little folded edges make contact with the inside surface of the tip. Thanks for the info Mindtrip, I knew there was someone else who did it..:tongue:

edit: Mindtrip- Well I played with it some today(my tip) err(exhaust tip) and put a towel in between the tip and body, then revved a few times sure nuff no more rattling. So I put in a little rubber guard in between the body and exhaust. I need to find something a bit thinner though. The tip bends down a little now :( But no unwanted sounds :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts