New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does your Knock read on your Sensor check menu? Mine reads around 430-530.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone?

After tuning mine reads a max 490 now?

Could someone enlighten me?

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Knock sensor?! There's no knock sensor on my '99! I've been trying to get a sensor with a single wire lead that I can connect to the S-AFC to actually get a reading...

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didnt install mine, since I didnt want to mess with it, but the shop that installed it wired everything up for me. I get a consistent reading from it and the reading goes up about 20 points when driving for a long time? Im going into the SensorChk option where it shows the A/F throttle voltage etc. I can snap a pic if that helps?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Have you checked with Apexi? You could try emailing them. Or searching for an Apexi forum? I bet the Ricers know how to tune them - oh, and I found a NOPI place of Buford highway that specializes in them, but only for imports. Punks.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its different for every vehicle im sure. And most ricers wouldnt even know what an Apexi unit does. And the folks that Ive talked to at Nopi know nothing except about VTECH this VTAK dat y0. Nopi would be the last place I go to if I needed something, they rip too many people off here in Atlanta, especially the Buford location.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Originally posted by: DgnZCoug
And the folks that Ive talked to at Nopi know nothing except about VTECH this VTAK dat y0. Nopi would be the last place I go to if I needed something, they rip too many people off here in Atlanta, especially the Buford location.
HAHAHA!! Yeah, when I talked to them on the phone - I wasn't inspired with confidence. I still would try Apexi. Maybe they have a tech support email or something. That thing wasn't cheap, they should give you some help, IMO.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
this is what I found about this. But I didn't think our car had a knock sensor that helped
to re-adjust timing and stuff. maybe I'm wrong. But what the hell did they hook it up to?
You should ask them to show you and take pics.

The optimal point at which the High Tension (HT) ignites the Air/Fuel mixture will be just before pinking occurs, it would appear inevitable that at certain times and under certain conditions knock (detonation) will occur.

A knock sensor is fitted to some management systems, the sensor being a small piezo-electrical device that, when coupled with the Electronic Control Modules (ECM), can identify when knock occurs and retard the ignition timing accordingly.

The frequency of knocking (pinking) is approximately 15 KHz. As the response of the sensor is very fast an appropriate time scale must be set, in the case of the example waveform 0 - 500 ms and a 0 - 5 volt scale. The best way to test a knock sensor is to remove the knock sensor from the engine and to tap it with a small spanner, the resultant waveform should be similar to the example shown.

If we do have a knock sensor and it automatically adjusts the timing to compensate for knock then
why is everyone getting custom chips burned? The ECM would do it it's self right? I don't think we
have a knock sensor. Someone get thier Ford CD Please.

·
Registered
282 Posts
99% sure that we do have a knock sensor - I'll try to locate the info for y'all.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Ok, try this link:

Knock sensor debate

That was the post I was thinking of. The nice pic from the shop manual is hotlinked and won't show up anymore, I think.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
ok that still leads me to believe we have no knock sensor.
Only way to know for sure is to look.
I'll see if I have time tonight.

I did a little digging on this subject and we might be able to install a knock sensor
somewhere on/in the UIM and then I think you can run the wires to
the S-AFCII. It wouldn't provide info to the ECM but it would provide info
to you AFCII. I might be totally wrong on this though I dunno still learning
knock sensors

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Originally posted by: gyger
If we do have a knock sensor and it automatically adjusts the timing to compensate for knock then
why is everyone getting custom chips burned? The ECM would do it it's self right?
I don't think we have a knock sensor. Someone get thier Ford CD Please.
There is most definitely a knock sensor.

The knock sensor is a device used by the PCM to determine when to PULL timing. (I.E. hence the name!) It does not have any affect on increasing spark timing.

Also without some way to self tune the multiple spark tables and multipliers (I.E programmable chip) there is no way you are going to be able to tune with the knock sensor information anyway.

·
Buyer Beware
6,575 Posts
I believe it was said that certain older 99 cougars may not have a Knock Sensor. Though Most cougars definilty have one, just as DemonSVT said.

What does your KnockSensor read while you spray? It may be a good idea to compare the normal driving to N20 readings just for referance

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
10/01/2003 11:15:07 AM Fastcougar
DanG may be correct. To my knowledge, all Cougars and All 99+ Contours do not have a knock sensor. The only way to be certain is to crawl under the Cougar and look at the rear header. Just above the "jack shaft" of the right hand half-shaft coming from the tranny and to the left of the rear header you may see this:
That's what I read which is the opposite of what you are sayin Ken
The knock sensor is a device used by the PCM to determine when to PULL timing. (I.E. hence the name!) It does not have any affect on increasing spark timing.
To pull timing as in retard it correct? so I wouldn't need to adjust my timing to run nitrous because it should recognize knock
and retard it 4-6 degrees. But then why are people getting flip chips made to retard their timing for nitrous runs?
Or am I completely off? It can not advance the timing but it can retard it?
I'm not fighting you guys on this I just want to understand it more.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally posted by: GrandMasterKhan

What does your KnockSensor read while you spray? It may be a good idea to compare the normal driving to N20 readings just for referance
I honestly dont look at that when Im spraying heh, but I will look into it tommorrow evening. But like I said, after about an hour or so of driving the numbers do go up about 15-25 respectively, but I still dont know what is normal ? What ill do is call my shop guy and ask him where he tapped into and what he thinks. That may solve some of this mystery.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
SLOW DOWN.. WHAT YOUR LOOKING AT IS NOT, I REPEAT NOT THE ACTUAL KNOCK CORRECTION!!!! i typed that in caps to get people to read it.

it is simply reading the Knock Sensor.

the actually knock level is in the MONITORING section and choose to monitor KNK as one of them. anything higher than 150ish the car is pulling timing, theoretically, 0-50 is average and means the car is not detonating.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok so let me get this straight, and please correct me if I am wrong.

That 450+ - number that I am reading is just that, a reading that monitors the knock? When I go into the "Monitor" part of the AFC it always says 0 or the lowest setting and doesnt move at all. Is that what it should be? Because I have never seen that move at all. If I go into the numerical readout on the AFC it has always said 0.0 and nothing else. So that means everything is A ok?

Thanks for your help man

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
correct-a-mundo under the "sensor check" that is strictly a sensor check, it is not the actual knock sensor. its not a voltage, its a response range...thats really not important..

under the "KNK" sensor check, that number closet to 0 is good. so if your running 0 all the time, you are perfect. with my evo i can reach as high as 50 and my car is pulling timing, since the EVO is designed for 94 oct, and since i cant get it here in cali, i run 91 and i do pull timing. or i run a 100/91 blend and get 0 as well.

question for you...did you properly do the knock setup when you first hooked up the SAFC?? if not, then you need to do that, if you did, your good and can probably afford to lean your car out more for some more horses.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
About the Knock setup? How was that supposed to be done? Like I said before I didnt install it, so Im not 100 percent.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts