New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Devin, when you took the "COUGAR" letters off the back and spread them out, what did you use to re-apply them? Any suggestions on how to keep them straight and even? I know your a perfectionist and will let me know the best way to do it.

Thanks,
Gary

·
Registered
635 Posts
hey I'm not Devin but
.....I'd recomend new letters, they are only a couple bucks each (if that much) and come ready to peel-n-stick....the 3m emblem tape is probably costs more and you'd have to cut it to fit the letters....

·
RIP CougaH
5,271 Posts
hehehe Perfectionist I am

Well I tried using the industrial strength 3M tape first, but you have to cut it really thin, and trying to get it to go around the curves of the "C" sucked, so I just got a tube of Silicone, and that worked great! It was a little messy at first, but once you get the hang of it, it is pretty easy to use.

Two tips:
1. For the silicone is to use in moderation, ie don't put a lot on there, cause when you try to attach it to the car, it will have the oreo effect, and squish out of the sides, and make a big old mess.
2. Use some masking tape and a ruler, to make a nice straight line to work with on the back of your car, so you don't eyeball it, and end up with a crooked cougar on the back of your car.

I think to buy a set of new letters would cost about $15 or so (i am not sure about the price, but they charge $12 for the cougar head logo, so I can only assume that the lettering will cost you about the same), but the tube of silicone only cost like $2

Good luck no matter which way you do it

Devin

G

·
Better yet.........how much would Devin charge to do it to our cars? I have to admit I love the way you put the letters on the back of your car. I've been waiting since Jan. when my dealer put in the order for my letters to come in. I lost an R after taking my cat to the car wash and was thinking of just doing what you did to yours. It looks sweet dude. Quick question.....how did you take off the letters on the back?

·
RIP CougaH
5,271 Posts
I have no Idea what I would charge...what sounds fair? $50....?....$25....?......$1,754.....?.....You guys tell me
You might even be able to get away with just buying me lunch or something....hehehe

Well to take off the letters, I used a heat gun and tried to warm up the glue cause it was pretty cold out when I did it....and then use Floss/Fishing line to get behind the letters, and "cut" the tape. Unfortunately on my Black coug, you can still kind of see where the letters used to be, but the other people that have taken the lettering off, haven't had that problem....I think

·
RIP CougaH
5,271 Posts
<<Top secret SoCal stuff>>

I think I told Ryan this a while ago, but they are trying to figure outa way to put the spaced out lettering on the production cars because my neighbor that used to work for Lincoln Mercury LOVED it, and took several of pics to show his Former Co-Workers....

They are having problems because they don't know what to do with the V6...So any suggestions?

G

·
hell, i'd settle for a factory installed supercharger or turbocharger. why not? subaru does it, and ford does it for the lightning

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the "instructions" Devin. I'll use the strip of tape and the ruler to measure the spacing. I liked Mike's idea of bying new letters instead of the silicone. I ordered them today ($14.00) and was told by the parts department that they would be in tomorrow. Do you still have the pic of the backend of your car taken at the San Diego meet? Or do you Mike still have the pic of the back of Devin's car? Could you either post it again or e-mail it to me. I want to have a copy of it next to my car when I'm putting them on. I think you had the spacing just right on your car Devin.

If L/M decides to space them the same way on the 02's, that would look cool! As far the the "V6" location, I have seen some newer cars with the chrome lettering as part or on the red taillights. I think a good location on the Cougar would be on the drivers side taillight in the lower right hand corner. You know, the same spot as the key hole on the other side.

·
RIP CougaH
5,271 Posts
Well I have an idea too, and I told it to them, but of course it isn't quite what they are looking for...oh well, I am doing it anyway and will have it on tommorow, so if anybody wants to go to D-Day with me, they can see it then...

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Mike! That's the pic I was talking about.

Devin, you've peaked my interest on where your putting the V6. Let the rest of us know after D-Day.

·
RIP CougaH
5,271 Posts
AKA DUB fest, as in DUB magazine....Basically it is a huge car show, and concert with various rappers etc performing....and I think one of my friends mentioned a Bikini contest with the girls from a certain Gentleman's club, and he seems to think that they might be wearing a little less than their Bikinis by the end of the contest...I don't know if that spikes any interest in anyone to go?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.