New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not sure if this has ever been discussed here, or even been attempted, but during the 3 ATX-MTX swaps that i have done this year, I noticed something interesting...

ALL 3 ATX Rear Roll restrictors were completely DESTROYED!! the inner bushings were completely GONE!! And I have heard that MANY ATX owners have to replace their Rear Roll Restrictors at on epoint or another because, well, frankly they are not supportive enough for such a Heavy transmission!!!

SO I think i found a solution to the problem, without having to fill the Restrictor with Urethane!! The MTX Energy Suspension Front Roll restrictor (motor mount) Polyurethane Bushings WILL FIT into the Rear Roll restrictors for the ATX!! The ruber inserts of both the MTX front restrictor and the ATX rear Restrictor are exactly the same size, shape, and nearly the same width (ATX is slightly thinner than the MTX)...

I have a set of the Energy suspension MTX inserts, and I installed them onto a ATX rear Restrictor with the braket and it fit PERFECT!!! I tried flexing the mount as much as possibly with it in the vise, and it only had about a half inch ot an inch of deflection, but remove the Energy Suspension inserst, and the mount flexes almost complete ly around, and you could see the stock rubber inesrt starting to tear at the edges!!!

For around $30, and an easy install, I would think this could be a simple solution to a very common problem amongst the ATX owners here on NECO and CEG.. (I haven't posted over there yet, but would like your responses first) :biggrin:

Please let me know what you think... This is something i have discussed with a few local MAss/Conn members a few times, but I was finally able to test my theory Tonight!!

:)

·
Premium Member
3,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You should be able to hear a thunking noise when it shifts...as there will be no rubber left in the restrictor...

·
Registered
669 Posts
Are you referring to the mount that sits on top of the tranny? If not, do you have a picture of its location? I would like to check mine and see where i stand.

·
Premium Member
14,377 Posts
aircoug, very interesting find.

·
Premium Member
3,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
aircoug, very interesting find.
Thanks...

I don't have pics of what I discovered... but basically it is the ATX Rear Roll restrictor that sits at the back, lower part of the ATX and bolts from the Tranny to the Subframe...

You need to get under the car to remove this mount... 2 bolts to the subframe, and 1 large bolt holding the restrictor to the bracket on the tranny...

I was in the middle of swapping a Cougar from MTX-ATX, as well as prepping for a 3L swap, when I tried this out. Hands were filthy and the camera's batteries were dead!! :mad: If I have any time before Tuesday, I will try it again and Take pics, if not it will sometime next week... Sorry...;)

·
PLATINUM M0DERAT0R
4,995 Posts
Pardon my lack of knowledge, but if it goes bad, what are the consequences, and what will I gain from installing a urethane one?
Well, this is a big problem for MTX's also. My rear roll resistor was toasted, I think that problem was the result of my Stock Diff blowing up also since there was no support for the transmission.

It can also cause stress crack on the aluminum transmission casing :(

·
Premium Member
3,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Is this what we're talking about?

This is what was left of my original!
YES!!! That's exactly it! :biggrin:

Mtx rear roll restrictors also break apart fairly easily, but there is no insert for those, of course, so the best thing to do IS to full them with Urethane...
:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts