New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to put a hitch on for a bike rack, and perhaps light towing. I see from archive that a couple folks have installed them. Did you find a stock unit which fit, or modify something else?

Right now the plan is to modify a generic Reese class 1 hitch, but would love to find an easier way.

Thanks

·
Registered
58 Posts
I WOULD JUST TAKE IT TO UHAUL $150 AND THEY DO IT FOR YA

·
Registered
217 Posts
I work for Uhaul as a hitch mechanic. The hitch number you need for your car is 24684 and it cost 94.50 over the counter and 117.00 for us to install it. The installation does require drilling into your trunk pan, so I wouldn't do it to a leased vehicle if you have one.

·
Premium Member
5,052 Posts
Drawtite makes one(they make em for uhaul) cost me $95 from a
Harley Dealer that is also a drawtite dealer(they paid 85 for it, small profit margin),
and its a direct fit...BUT if you have Dual Exhaust watch out...it won't fit without modification to
either the hitch or exhaust

BTW, it bolts up very nicely, and even if you cut the hole in the trunk, you can get plugs.
But more than likely it wouldn't affect your lease. it adds some value. (depends on leasee)

·
Registered
217 Posts
That Harley dealer must not get their stuff straight from drawtite then, lol, we make a bit more than ten bucks off that hitch.

·
Premium Member
5,052 Posts
HEHE, who knows... they were listed as a dealer, and the only ones that
actually answered their phone that could help me...I know how mark-up goes.
But perhaps that was with shipping. I just happened to
show up when UPS dropped it off, so he had to unpack it... whoops I saw the slip.
I won't deny anyone profit..they gotta eat too..
I'm going to have to cut the pass side off and have a new piece welded on..
it has 4 strong attachment points.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts