New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never seen a "fix" for this but I have always seen it asked a lot. Well if anyone cares it took me about 15 minutes to do it this morning. I recently got the Cougar WD off of eBay and after seeing what the relay looked like it took about two seconds to figure it out. All the relay is there for is to turn off the fogs when the high beams are activated. The reason for that is it is illegal to have more than four headlights on at once. Don't ask me why, that is NHTSA and DOT. So basically you just need to bypass the relay.

1. Just make a wire about 2" long with flat spade connectors at each end.

2. Remove the panel under the steering wheel. Two 7mm bolts.

3. To the left of the opening you will see the blue relay, pull it off of it's mount and remove the relay. To make sure you have the correct one, just turn on the fogs and flash
the highs. You will feel the relay click and it only has four pins.

4. Insert the wire you made into 3 and 5 of the connector. Look at the relay itself, these are the two wide flat pins and they are numbered.

5. Test, reassemble, test.

6. Enjoy!

I left all the lights on for about 20 minutes and there was not any sign of overheating or anything like that. The gauge of wire I used (16) was actually thicker than what goes into the connector itself (1mm or about 18 gauge) and it is only 12v.

·
Premium Member
16,842 Posts
I believe its not more than 6 lights (2 Parking lights, 2 Headlights , 2 fogs)

G

·
Hey guys,
Thanks for all the wondeful info you post here, I do however have a little easier fix to this issue. on my 99 model I just unplugged the relay and tuned it around so that the to control pins were sitting outside the connector and the contact pins were still making the circuit. this allows the mod to be completed with no permanent alteration to the factory system.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Well i got a question anyone ever had to re wire the fog lights to the switch on the steering coloumn? i dont know if this is how it comes stock but i have a switch on my steering coloumn, but when i bought it there was no wires leading from the Foglights to the Switch?

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
NorCalCoug said:
Uhm, in my 2001 when I hit the highbeams the foglights stay on, but the lowbeams turn off.

Weird.
Yeah thats really weird! :eek:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.