New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be a stupid question, but how do you change the fog light bulbs in a 2002 Cougar? The owner's manual says to bring it to a dealer, and feeling around under the car there is a plastic shield in the area of the foglights.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I changed mine out (replaced them with Hi Beam bulbs (with minor modification)) without even having to jack the car up. Basically, you gotta just park the car where you can crawl underneath the nose. That black plastic piece you felt is the part that has to come off. There are somewhere in the neighborhood of 8-12 screws/bolts holding it up. Most of them are visible to the naked eye once you're underneath, but there are 2 on each side *right* in front of the tires that you won't see right off the bat that also have to come out. Take all those out, jiggle the plastic piece a little bit (or whatever it takes), and it will pop right out. If you're familiar with how the headlight bulbs come out (i.e., they turn in their socket and then come straight back to be removed), the fogs are the same. You should be able to just reach your hand up inside and do it without even looking.

If you want to replace your fog bulbs with hi beams, simply purchase them at PepBoys or wherever (~7.99/bulb), take the stock bulb out and set it right next to the hi beam. If you look down at both bulbs from above, you'll see there are three tabs that work sort of like a key to allow the bulb to slide into the housing. 2 of the 3 are the same between the stock bulb and a hi beam bulb. Basically, just take a file and file down the one that doesn't match on the new bulb. Voila! MUCH brighter road projection at night, and you won't get people flashing their lights at you because the lights shine on the road, not up in people's faces. Best of luck! It's easy - go for it.

·
5,337 Posts
Yep, you gotta take off the splash shield...

There are nine (9) screws, each is a 10mm hex head. One (1) dead center, two (2) on each side of that; those five (5) are visible. Then two (2) right in front of each tire, up in a raised part of the shield.

I used a 10mm socket on everything, with a 3" extension on the four outboard ones in front of the tires.

Bulb assembly comes out of the back of the reflector housing w/ the standard rotate a quarter turn or so, and pull straight out.

HTH

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.