New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm stuck at the moment with why my intake sounds like a fog horn at idle. It'll disappear if I rev it over 2k rpm. I changed both the iac and the intake thinking it was just an old hose or valve. It's very loud and is definitely intake related.

·
Administrator
15,563 Posts
Classic description of “moosing” from the IACV. Do a search for that and you’ll find lots of info on it.

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,797 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Replaced the hose and now it idles at 1500 and will jump to 3k rpm when coming down to a stop from moving. Thinking it's my mass air flow sensor bit could be my tps couldn't find a definitive solution in the problem section. I fixed all my vaccum issues and y intake gaskets are all fairly new(about 6 months)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's smaller in diameter because of the intake I have and it's been about 2 weeks since it was done and since the port on the intake was smaller I had to downsize the hosing on one side. It's also making an air noise coming from the throttle body but it's not the gasket

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll get one tomorrow it was a temporary fix until I can find a hose that will go in that diameter while still being able to attach to the intake stub out.
So are you saying that if it's too small it'll keep doing what it is doing?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm also about to change out the fuel pump because I ran out of gas in it at one time a few weeks vack and I tried priming it without realizing that there wasn't any fuel in the tank because of the fuel gauge on the instrument cluster being bad. It's also a 255lph vs the 155lph stock one but I'll have to modify the wiring.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I fixed the iacv hose to the proper size, cleaned the throttle body and intake and iacv itself very thoroughly as well as cleaned all the sensors. But car still surges on idle hangs in the 3 to 4 thousand pm mark and then about 4 seconds it die down to about 1900 to 2100 rpm. It makes t difficult to change gears due to erratic idle.

·
Administrator
15,563 Posts
The ECU may just need to relearn the idle.

Disconnect your battery for about 15 minutes, reconnect, start it up and let it idle for about 15 minutes without touching the throttle.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts