New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,946 Posts
That would RULE. My 95 Saturn had a glass roof, and I loved that. I rarely use the one in my Cougar, because I forget its there.

If so, can you keep the factory rails and mechanisns, but just replace the steel panel with the glass one?

·
Registered
933 Posts
That might also prevent people's sunroofs from breaking before they actually do. I think the reason the tracks break is because they were designed to hold the weight of a glass roof panel, and not a metal one.

Tony

·
Registered
490 Posts
I was wondering which grapevine....I've heard nothing of this before...

·
Registered
88 Posts
yeah, I was kind of pissed when I realized that there was no glass up there. Replacing the metal for glass somehow was going to be my first mod.......

G

·
I know i saw a cougar on campus a couple weeks ago with a glass sunroof. I dont know if it was aftermarket or if they did that. But i was quite shocked by it. I would love to get a glass sunroof in there!

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow, 8 replies later and not a single straight answer, only people who have no idea teasing and asking what grapevine and saying how nice it would be... thanks! :banghead:

The grapevine would be Teamneco's forums.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
"That might also prevent people's sunroofs from breaking before they actually do. I think the reason the tracks break is because they were designed to hold the weight of a glass roof panel, and not a metal one."

I think the glass roofs would weigh a ton more than our current ones. They are very thin metal versus a whole glass set up. I think our sunroofs fail is because when you have them open and you drive your putting a large load on them from wind resistance. Its only behing held up by the rails in one spot. At 70 MPH that loading has to be huge. Do that a few hundred times and those plastic rails will fail for sure.

Tony

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
This was an option wasn't it? Mine has the regular sunroof, but when I was waiting for a ride to work from the dealership while my alternator was being replaced, I went out in the lot to look around. They had like 4 Cougars with nothing in them at all, then this laser red one parked near the building on display. It had a glass moonroof and all the trimmings. It was a 2002, and I was kind of jealous because my car had all the options that it did except for the moonroof. It only had like 10 miles on it and this was last February. Unfortunately the car cost 22,000, so it was a no-go. But I just assumed that was an option you could choose, at least on the 2002 models.

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
I have a friend that was a service advisor at a Ford/Lincoln/Mercury and he has a XR with the factory sunroof and he checked on the Focus sunroof when he worked there and the verdict was that it was more expensive to do it versus replacing the Merc assembly with another Merc assembly... The Focus sunroof is great.. after my sunroof failing in this car and in my last car (Saturn) I tend to like the manual crank handle ones... it opened further than ours too IIRC when I had the loaner...

maybe Fett can confirm this idea seeing as how he works at a Ford dealer... if we can get a sweet deal thru Gary or something and its a easy replacement I am in

·
Registered
88 Posts
Do all cougars have a problem with the sunroof breaking? or is it just a specific year or two?

·
Registered
942 Posts
OMG, if this is true that would be the very 1st mod I would save for. Not having a glass moon roof was almost the deciding factor against getting my Cougar over another car I was looking at until I found out the deal I was getting on the Cougar. I was soooo spoiled with a glass moon roof in my last car that I was really disappointed to find out the Cougar's was metal.:disgust:

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
ALL 99-00's with the moon roof factory installed will eventually break... Ford designed the damn thing with plastic rails which will later crack... in 2001 they finally figured out that it was a problem and changed to metal rails.. but, no recall was issued for the other years and the ONLY way to fix it is to replace the ENTIRE assembly which is I was quoted at my local dealer $1600.00 in parts/labor to do... I have an extended warranty which denied the claim and I spent about 30 minutes on the phone with Ford Customer Service who also denied my assistance in the matter... I'm still very bitter about the whole thing!

I currently have my sunroof duct taped shut until I can afford a new assembly or find a junked 2001 and above coug that has it and I can score it at a decent price...

I love my car... but HATE the sunroof that was put in it... :mad:

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Same deal here...I called Ford customer service and explained that it cost me over $1200 to fix it, and they gave my name to the Executive Referral Office. They called me here at work but I wasn't in my office at the time, and I can't call them back from 8-5 because that's when I'm at work and the Executive Referral Office number isn't a toll-free number, it's long-distance. Not that I think I'll get anywhere with them, but I guess I'll have to try from my cellphone sometime soon. If anything productive happens I'll let everyone know.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Originally posted by: Crispy
I was quoted at my local dealer $1600.00 in parts/labor to do... I have an extended warranty which denied the claim and I spent about 30 minutes on the phone with Ford Customer Service who also denied my assistance in the matter... I'm still very bitter about the whole thing!

I currently have my sunroof duct taped shut until I can afford a new assembly or find a junked 2001 and above coug that has it and I can score it at a decent price...

I love my car... but HATE the sunroof that was put in it... :mad:
You do know that you can get one shipped from gary for 700 and replace it yourself?

I was able to change mine in 6 hours... and yeah it is a pain in tha ass but not a 900 dollar pain in the ass like ford thinks it is.

WHat do you mean you cannot afford it?? Look at your car :confused: ...

·
Buyer Beware
6,575 Posts
and why the heck did the deny the claim?

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
my extended warranty company would ONLY cover it had the motor been broken... I hate to be this way but now I feel like I was stupid for not pushing my sunroof further than it would go when it broke.. had I burned the motor out I would be a happy girl now..

I heard a crack and immediately stopped... :(

I intend on giving Gary Star a nice large order sometime soon...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.