New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
flywheel swap-in-progress pics

took these pics today...this friend of my dad is swapping out my old flywheel because the teeth are worn and my car hardly starts anymore. He didn't finish yet, all he has to do is drop the subframe and the tranny and swap the flywheels, he's almost there. Took him about 3 and a half hours to do what you see in the pics. I heard it was a lot of work tho.

Mike

·
Registered
5,519 Posts
RE:flywheel swap-in-progress pics

that is a bad azz air compressor i want one...

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
RE: flywheel swap-in-progress pics

Damn, mind if I drop by so he can change mine out too. I dont wnat to see the repair bill from the stealership for this fix. And ive had the problem for almost 1 year now.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

i've been having this problem since march of last year, and let me tell you, it will only get worse. For the past two weeks it's been happening at least once a day.

Mike

·
Registered
3,926 Posts

Originally posted by: Lukydogg
Damn, mind if I drop by so he can change mine out too. I dont wnat to see the repair bill from the stealership for this fix. And ive had the problem for almost 1 year now.
$900-$1200 is what i was quoted

i ended up paying $825 when my clutch died at 73k - i got the flywheel at the same time, saved me a great deal of $

next time i'll be doing it myself :)

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

well it's almost done. There was a problem getting the tranny back on the engine because the torque converter slipped out. It would have been done today, but it was one of those things that just happens and you don't know what's going on or why this part won't fit where it's supposed to. Right now the tranny is bolted back up, all that's left is putting the chassis back on and the axles, brakes, wheels..etc. It's weird, because the teeth on the flywheel don't completely get burnt away, just a small portion of the teeth get chipped away, and that's what causes all the problems..maybe later I'll post a pic of the old flywheel.

Mike

E

·
0 Posts

Yeah you should post some pics of the worn out one. I love to see pics of worn out parts, gives a great visual. Also, it shows how a small problem can be a huge pain in the ass!

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

ok here they are. Most people think that the teeth on the flywheel actually get burnt away, but what really happens is they just get chipped enough so that the starter can't catch onto it. I think these two pics are of the same spot on the flywheel, but it looks like this around the whole flywheel. And there were parts where you could see it starting to happen. The spot in these pics are where the teeth are chipped the worst.

Mike

R

·
0 Posts
wow, mine is mildly chipped, im gonna order a new one tonight so it can go in with the 3L

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
If yours is that bad, then I must be missing entire sections. I have the Billy Bob Country Boy flywheel, missin teeth here and there.

·
Registered
892 Posts
what exactly does a flywheel do? i'm not a car expert by any standards but i'm trying to learn what all these things do

·
Registered
5,519 Posts
those teeth right there are what the started kicks into and the gears matchupa dn it kicks the engine to get it rotating so taht the spark can start adn get momentum to keep going...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts