New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I saw that Aircougar1 had one of these, I just had a few questions. Will anything be improved by putting in a floor bar? For anyone who has one, does it create a problem for passengers? And if it does something, is it ok to get one like this? eBay Motors: CARBON STABILIZER CROSS FLOOR STRUT BAR HONDA CIVIC FIT (item 180171203425 end time Oct-23-07 19:57:02 PDT)

(ebay) or should I have the guy who made my strut brace create one.

Keep in mind that I'm not going to be autocrossing anymore, but I like handling, and they look pretty cool.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I could only imagine it would creat problems for thew pasengers. HELL I WOULDN'T want to sit in the back of a Cou let alone now with a bar going across the floor! I'd like for you to gwet in writing that these thing will bolt on to the Coug not some universal ****!

·
Premium Member
22,086 Posts
Sure it does something. It blocks your passenger's feet and makes you look like you enjoy needlessly spending your money.
But it looks cool! :(

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
no. that bar wont do anything more than the floor pan itself already does. The only way to stiffen up the area would require some sort of added frame work/roll cage tubing, likely going through the floor not attempting to attach to the floor.

edit. the no was to contrapual not oven

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
No. you need to think more in terms of stiffening and connecting the corners not the middle. The rear strut brace works well because of where its at. It helps to tie the 2 towers together. You achieve that tieing rear or front suspension to themselves. And then from there you can attempt to tie the rears to the fronts. But to go to that extream you need a FULL roll cage or some sort of frame rail system.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I remember b33nn3tt saying that he did something like "connect the undercarriage crossmembers" and that that did more than bracing and strut bars did... details on that?

PS- yes, I am milking this thread for all its worth :biggrin:

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
Not sure what your referring to. As far as i know Bensenvill is the only one with frame rails on the underbody.

And you have to remember the REAR strut bar is effective and provides a noticalbe difference, while the FRONT strut bar is a cosmetic improvement at best. Theres a 4 inch tube of steel behind your dash tieing the 2 front towers together, and putting your little flimsy front strut bar does nothing.

So saying he did something better than strut bars is kinda mixed meanings....

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My bad, Bensevill. Did he say it was worth doing?

I meant the rear, but I'm just trying to remember what I read...

Oh, and if a made cross pieces that attach to the rear strut towers below the bar, would they provide additional support in the way the crossmembers of the st200 do?

And finally, would a show cage improve handling at all (I know it isn't intended too, but I may be able to get a free one, so I just wondered)

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
Yes Terry's car is as stiff as it gets. Down side is he seems to be breaking alot of parts because his car is just that stiff.

Yes it would help to build the X brace like a ST 200.... but how much is open to debate. A few members Ive spoken with have told me that the upper horizontal bar provides the most difference in handling, and when the X is added or taken out due to it being in the way or needing more space, whatever, the difference is negligible. But they do think it does SOMETHING ... how much .. its kinda up in the air.

And no to the final question. Because thats the basic difference between a real roll cage and a show cage.... the real one actually attaches to the framework, as a part of its safety design. But it stiffens up the car as sort of a biproduct of its installation.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok, thanks for the info. I can't be braking parts right and left... I'll experiment with removable crossmembers, and play around with some other supports while I'm at it. As for the show cage, I was pretty sure there wouldn't be a change, I just had to check.

·
Registered
789 Posts
The most you could do without going crazy into the interior is stitch weld it. Same process as a roll cage install, everything needs to be removed interior wise to do it. But the structral change would be some what noticable. No clue as to how much, I've never seen a bare bones interior on a cougar.

The main added benefit is no bars in anyones way. But this is best done to the whole car not just one part.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts