New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed some Pioneer 6x8's up front and am working on installing Kicker MD6's in the back. I got some brackets off Ebay that promised to fit stock mercury 6x8's and let you put in 6's. The speakers fit in the bracket, but the bracket doesn't match the door location. I don't know if it's the wrong one or what. The drivers are also a bit big, so I need to get some spacers. Just wondering if you've got any suggestions for making them fit...I think if I hammer down the door panel a little bit they'd fit fine, but I guess I'd need to drill new mounting holes. Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
I'm a little confused by your post...You say that you installed 6x8s up front, and want to install 6s in the rear, but you go on to say that the 6s don't fit in the doors...Where exactly are you moutning the 6" speakers?

I mounted 6.5" components up front and 6.5" coaxials in the rear with no problems whatsoever.

~CIII

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, I mean in the back side panel, not door panel. They'll fit, but the current brackets don't match up and it seems like I need to either hammer down part of that panel or get some spacers or something. Just wondering what the best way to do it is.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Hammer it down flat, drill new holes. Thats about the only way to make something fit w/o cutting the panel itself.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What I have are the SAK68T65's from here: http://www.mjmautoinnovations.com/speakeradapters.htm

They holes don't line up though....on my pioneer's there was an inner and outer set of screw holes and the inner ones fit the stock. I'm pretty sure the outer ones were the same as the ones on these adapters. The stock speaker holes are approx 5in apart vertically, 4.25 horizontally. The brackets are about 5.5in apart each way. And the 6.5's are 4.25 apart each way.

It looks like I'll have to use the adapter, use the bottom two hole straight into the speaker, then drill a new hole into the adapter for the top screw. Then I'll have to bang away at the panel some or get spacers or something.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts