New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, looks like it's finally my turn for the alternator curse, mine just went last night. but with just over 100k on it, i am not shocked, especially with Dom and Ajay having this same problem.
so who holds the highest record now? Dom still?
hope i won't make it to the top of the list...

For those of you who had more than one alternator, please make sure your battery is ok!
I found the regulator blew on my alternator, and blew the alternator fuse, and I started kicking myself. Because almost 2 months ago, I've tested the battery, and shows 12.9v and 229cca, tester shows replace battery. But because I had no problem starting the car, I didn't really pay attention to it. Now that I found out the regulator on the alternator blew, I know that because the battery is weak, the alternator will continuously charge the battery, which will fry the alternator. So if you need to replace your alternator again, make sure you check the battery, like I said, I have no problem starting the car, so there are no symtoms. Beware!!

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
sssshhhhhhhhhhh! don't say that mike! the alternator will hear you! :tongue:
btw, mine is a 2000, so even we're not safe ;)
i think the reason yours hasn't died yet is because it KNOWS you have an extended warranty...a few months after thats over, it'll probably kick the bucket...

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
i think the reason yours hasn't died yet is because it KNOWS you have an extended warranty...a few months after thats over, it'll probably kick the bucket...

Great, thats means I'll be screwed then too.

·
Premium Member
6,085 Posts
Mine knows I have warrenty....and still do till next Sept. thankfully.

As for Mikes car and no issues.................he forgot to knock on wood...hehehehehehe

I'll let him explain :)

·
3L Roush
4,387 Posts
Well, as Dan said, I was hit by the curse yesterday. :(

We were at Boston Pizza in Mississauga, when we decided to do some go-karting. So, I jumped in the car, started it, and it started to shake a little. I thought nothing of it, so I started to drive away. Well, I didn't make it 100 yards when the car died and wouldn't start again. Right away I knew it was my fuel pump. :mad:

So, long story short, the CAA tow-truck driver (#2!) decided to hit the bottom of the gas tank, and, it worked. The car started, and I drove it to Dixie Ford to have the fuel pump replaced. :)

I'll find out exactly whats wrong with it tomorrow. As of now, i'm driving a 2003 Mustang LX V6. It'll do the job. ;)

Mike

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
booo, they coulda at least gave you the V8. And my guess is your fuel pressure is below 18 psi. Where over 40 is recommended!! Mine was at 10 psi when it died.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I've been noticing that my lights kind of go dim for a second and then go back bright, while I'm shifting gears. Is this a sign of trouble to come? It's been doing this for at least 1/2 a year.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I've been noticing that my lights kind of go dim for a second and then go back bright, while I'm shifting gears. Is this a sign of trouble to come? It's been doing this for at least 1/2 a year.

·
3L Roush
4,387 Posts
Well, I picked it up today. The pump was dead, I mean DEAD. 0PSI reading when they tested it. So, it was replaced, along with the sending unit and the filter. They said I had almost ZERO gas in the tank, even though I showed nearly a 1/4 tank when it died, so, the gauge was off too. :shrug:

Long story short, it cost me $100 + tax to have it all replaced. Just out of curiosity, I asked what it would have cost if I didn't have ESP ... almost $1000!

Thats right, the part cost $495 + 4 hours labour @ $90/hour = apprx. $1000! Thats INSANE! :crazy:

My warranty just paid itself off in 1 visit! :)

Mike

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Originally posted by: DaveW
Dave, there are two things that could be a sign of. The first is obviously the alternator...the second, is this:

dimming headlights

That is a link to the how-to section where someone posted instructions from a Ford TSB on how to remedy the dimming headlights. Oddly enough, the fix involves splicing in the alternator wiring...coincidence? I'm really starting to wonder whether this might actually cause our alternators to fail over time. I'm going to be doing this TSB this weekend hopefully as my headlights still dim once in a while (but not nearly as bad as when the alternator is on its last legs), and i'm crossing my fingers that this will finally fix the problem once and for all.

·
Registered
260 Posts
My fuel pump died a few months aga. Talking to the technician, he said that they often go at 40-50k.

As for the dimming, it just happens for the first second or two after the engine slows don, then they come back up. I'm guessing the reg is on the way out...

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
As for the dimming, it just happens for the first second or two after the engine slows don, then they come back up. I'm guessing the reg is on the way out...
possibly...but like i said, it could be going because of this tsb. i didn't write this, but it sums up pretty well what the problem is.

"what it does is reroute the red wire which is the voltage sensing line. It lets the voltage regulator know what to make the alternator put out. Ford has it so it senses from all the way up at the fuse/relay box, and apparantly a lot of these wires go bad along the way. What this fix is doing is letting the voltage regulator see exactly what the voltage is the alternator is making by bypassing all the unnecessary and unreliable wiring. "

1 - 20 of 25 Posts