New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
But it's a Vulcan in a new-to-me 2004 Ranger. What a contrast in complexity compared to the Duratec. I kinda like the thing though, just keeping my fingers crossed it doesn't have valve seat problems.

It will be nice to be able to work on the Cougar without needing to get it done to drive to work the next day.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Morana racing actually still does vulcan stuff not sure the extent of services though.

Edit**
Actually I looked again. It kind of makes me wonder why we dont use those instead of duratecs lol

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Morana racing actually still does vulcan stuff not sure the extent of services though.

Edit**
Actually I looked again. It kind of makes me wonder why we dont use those instead of duratecs lol
Yeah I looked at some of that stuff even though I have no plans to modify it. But your point is valid, in that given the Vulcan was used in the Taurus it would be relatively easy to put in a Cougar.

I even saw a 4bbl manifold - you could make a Cougar with a ported, cammed cast iron pushrod V6 with a small 4bbl carb! Would be kind of a weird mix.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
I get the fact that the duratec from factory was a 50hp higher rating but morana makes a stroker kit for the vulcan.
I guess cause the duratecs a cheaper option?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like the Duratec engine a lot, and stock I'd never consider it. But if you were going to make a very modified car it might be fun to make an old-school, low tech Cougar for the sake of variety. Miniature iron pushrod V motor with a lumpy cam and a carb. Steel wheels with baby moon hub caps and white letter tires.......

·
Administrator
15,432 Posts
Congrats on the addition!

The Duratec 3.0 essentially bolts into the car, mates up to our transaxle, and plays nice with the electronics for the most part. That makes it a lot more appealing to swap in. Swapping in a Vulcan 3.0 would have to be a full custom install, and and that point you might as well go full crazy.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
But the M90 supercharger bolts directly to the top of a vulcan with the adapter from morana racing. That could almost make all the trouble to get it in there worth it.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess the right hand motor mount on the Taurus is rather different from the Cougar? That would be a potential issue as the Vulcan never had anything similar.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
No clue. I'm going to the pull yard in a couple weeks I'm gonna compare just to see the differences

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Well a welder makes all mounts equal dont it?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Radical push rods....
I was a teen, circa 1987 approx.
We built a 2.8L Capri (the small German import for ford) with a roller cam, and a four barrel, and headers.
That thing would run, Moped (nickname) got caught in it on I430 around Little Rock, at 168mph.
Had the ticket to prove, cop told him, if you got a v6 you get a warning, he showed him and did.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts