New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've got the plans that I need to build my sub box, and my plans are, I'm gonna build it out of 3/4"mdf, then cover it in fiberglass. How hard will the fiberglassing be? Its gonna be on all flat, smooth surfaces, but I've never done it before. And I hear the resin smells real bad so I won't be able to do it in my basement? Any advice or tips would be awesome!

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
all you are doing is covering the mdf box with fiberglass??are you gonna do any embossing into it?? maybe a cougar logo or somethin??fiberglassing is pretty easy,just smells really bad and is super sticky...it will get onto and into every thing...cover anything you dont want glassed because it will get it otherwise...it dont much matter how carefull you are it gets everywhere...if you have a paint respirator i would wear that too..do you have a garage?? you may have to heat it a bit for the winter while you are working on it..small propane heater and some halogen lights will do the trick...open the door every now and then to let out some of the fumes...DO NOT DO IT IN YOUR HOUSE....the smell will almost make you sick for days...i think it would look very stealthy to build you box to exact specs and then build like an organic shaped vainity cover out of glass..basically just to hide the box and wires and stuff..custom fit it to the shape of your hatch and then bolt it in...or silicone it in...will make things a whole lot more difficult to steal too...not to mention wicked show points for stealth..PM me if you want anymore...

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
I think he want to fiberglass his box because air can still flow through 3/4" MDF. But if you glass over it, it will be truely air tight. I believe someone posted about that before.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
hehe must be building a truely superior SQ machien....i cant imagine airloss through 3/4 mdf is that great..i am sure it is there and i think your right about someone else posting this i seem to remember reading about it..PG try doing a search i am sure you will find it..ahh hell i will even look for yah..

ps i just though it would be neat to emboss a little something into the box afterall you fiberglassin anyway..what does it take to lay in a 1/4" piece of mdf in some cool kick ass pattern and glass over it? i am sure it would be hot lookin..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts