New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi... over the winter I am thinking of trying my hand at Fiberglassing... I want to do my sunvisors and perhaps some sort of custom box in the trunk... PuckPuck gave me the cloth when he was at my house but we ran out of time for him to show me what I all have to do... What exactly are the BASICS that I need to know? I'm not looking at doing any sort of wicked modifications, just covering surfaces with it I believe...

I tried google-searching for some sorta how-to on fiberglass but had no luck ..... if its not too much to ask could someone please be an online tutor for me? please???

G

·
Fiberglass how to's
This might help a little. Just scroll down and read the part about custom enclosures and make sure to view the pics.

Fiberglass work is not all that hard. You can buy everything that you will need at Autozone or Pep Boys. (Any auto parts store really) You just need the resin, hardner, and matting and make sure to read the directions and have alot of patience. Glass work takes time between each step for everything to dry and come out nice. If you're in a real hurry you could mix it hot which just means put in a little extra hardner to the mix to help it cure faster, but as a firstimer I would not recommend this.

G

·
Sweet! Thanks !

Crispy - you go ahead and try - post the kick azz how to - and ill follow you. I think thats how it goes anyways :biggrin:

your little mocker/stalker lol

G

·
OK - Im curious about something. If you were going to do something in fiber glass and wrap it with cloth - like a speaker enclosure - why not just wrap the wood frame in cloth?

G

·
What do you mean why not just wrap the frame in cloth? The idea behind the cloth is to give you a surface to eventually lay the glass on top of. By stretching the cloth over the frame and coating it in resin and letting it dry it hardens. Now you have the base panel to adhere the actual glass mat to. Just like if you want to give your sun visors the fiberglass look you soak them with the resin and let it dry. Now they are hard rather than the soft cloth from the factory. Now you can lay some glass mat on top to build it up. Most people do this so they can later cut out an opening for a tv screen in the visors. I came upon a how to on that a while back but don't remember where to find it anymore.

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for posting that guys how-to.... his trunk set up is simply amazing and I'm gonna try my hand at the visors first and if its easy enough with great results I'm gonna attempt something like his set-up only ALOT more simplistic in my trunk....

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
www.sounddomain.com... check out the forums... especially the install forums... do a search there for fiberglass, then you'll pick up more terms and serach on thoses... thoses forums there told me 90% of what i know about fiberglassing, the rest was from local people showing me tricks and one person who's really good with the stuff by the name of SC :)

What I can tell you is this.... Get some elbow grease... you're gonna need it, there is mucho sanding to be done... also get some old clothes together and be prepared to wash it between sanding rounds, i recommend wearing a few layers of clothes while sanding... oh and your body will eventually adjust to the iching... at first it may be unbearable but after doing it for a while you'll get itchy from a sanding session and be fine 10 mins later.... and finally if the itch is unbearable, take a very very hot shower... the hot water, opens your pours and the glass fibers will rinse away.

as for temp stuff goes, fiberglass idealy needs to be at 77* to cure. Colder and it will take longer to harden, although you could add slightly more hardener to speed it up....

G

·
Thank you Puck Puck!

Offroad - It look like in the how to - that people would wrap carpet over top the glass. After the fiberglass hardened.

I guess this would be done for a smooth effect??

So I was wondering - if you would go through all the trouble to make a fiberglass enclosure and then wrap it with carpet. Why not just wrap the wood frame with carpet.

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
that dude wrapped his fiberglass items in heat shrinking vinyl.... that way you get the nice rounded off almost soft finished look versus the hard look of wood wrapped in carpet ---

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
fiberglass gives you strength with little weight and allows you to do just about any kind of shape imaginable. If the box is irregular in shape then fiberglass is your best bet... wrapping it in vinyl or carpet afterwards is just finishing it off, but the box may of never been made if it would of been done in wood.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts