New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heres the damage.

In the first picture the cracked fiberglass overlaps each other a bit. Do I cut the whole section and re fiberglass?

In the second picture where the paint is chipped away around the license plate, do I just body fill that? Or lay some FG over and body fill?

Bodywork is scary :(.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
New bumper is expensive :( and id still have to fill in the exhaust cut out.

Just so its out there, none of this was my fault :flushed: A certain individual made a poor decision in not getting insurance information from the person that rear ended them...:poke::mad: 90% of the exterior damage to my car is other people fault.

That ^ is my ammunition for whenever I get in arguments with the certain individual :biggrin:.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Best way to learn bondo/fiberglass work is by doing.
Its all about patience and sanding. And sanding. And sanding. And patience.

For the big hole, one possibility is to fix some sort of backer to the inside. You can actually do this with sheet metal screws to start with, then once its sufficiently fibergalssed into place, you can pull out the screws and just fill the screw holes.
I had a similar project (much larger) in which I found some steel mesh at home depot that was intended as gutter screen. (3 ft. Lock-on Black Gutter Guard (5-Pack)-441-253 - The Home Depot)
This stuff had great flexibility and formability, so making the shape I needed was super easy. Then I screwed it to the back, fiberglassed the hell out of it until it was one with the bumper, removed the screws, then began the process of filling the missing material. You can do it with small bits of fiberglass cloth, or find some other filler material until you get close to the outside plane of the bumper, then use bondo to get the final shape right.
Or you could use bondo as the filler but I always worry about having large volumes of straight bondo with no filler for strength (like rebar in concrete).

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
The bulk of the repair should be happening from the back side, and if you don't first make it look much worse then you aren't doing it right. Remove the bumper, and clean it front and back. Take a wire death wheel to the front and back of damaged areas removing paint from the surrounding area and getting down to the original fiberglass in the damage areas. All loose pieces of fiberglass should be removed at this point, the cracks will have been opened up a little more. It should kind of look like crap at this point. Clean everything again. Now using fiberglass chop mat on the back side of the bumper lay big enough pieces to span over the cracks by at least 2 inches. Make sure the mat follows the general contours of the bumper. Let cure. Repeat for 4-6 layers. Now move back to the outside of the bumper. Thoroughly scuff any remaining paint at least 6 inches around the repair area. Lay a coat of *****/tiger hair bondo to fill in the low spots, and to lock things back together at the surface. Sand. Lay normal bondo, and sand to make everything smooth, even, and perfectly blended. If needed, use glaze coat to address pin holes in bondo, and sand.

·
So its begun.....
16,835 Posts
New bumper is expensive :( and id still have to fill in the exhaust cut out.

Just so its out there, none of this was my fault :flushed: A certain individual made a poor decision in not getting insurance information from the person that rear ended them...:poke::mad: 90% of the exterior damage to my car is other people fault.

That ^ is my ammunition for whenever I get in arguments with the certain individual :biggrin:.
Actually the opposing party didn't have insurance. At least give the story straight.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The bulk of the repair should be happening from the back side, and if you don't first make it look much worse then you aren't doing it right. Remove the bumper, and clean it front and back. Take a wire death wheel to the front and back of damaged areas removing paint from the surrounding area and getting down to the original fiberglass in the damage areas. All loose pieces of fiberglass should be removed at this point, the cracks will have been opened up a little more. It should kind of look like crap at this point. Clean everything again. Now using fiberglass chop mat on the back side of the bumper lay big enough pieces to span over the cracks by at least 2 inches. Make sure the mat follows the general contours of the bumper. Let cure. Repeat for 4-6 layers. Now move back to the outside of the bumper. Thoroughly scuff any remaining paint at least 6 inches around the repair area. Lay a coat of *****/tiger hair bondo to fill in the low spots, and to lock things back together at the surface. Sand. Lay normal bondo, and sand to make everything smooth, even, and perfectly blended. If needed, use glaze coat to address pin holes in bondo, and sand.
So I ordered the tiger hair body filler, what would be the point of using the normal "bondo" body filler over the tiger hair?

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
So I ordered the tiger hair body filler, what would be the point of using the normal "bondo" body filler over the tiger hair?
Because it will probably look about like this since its your first time using it. :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Went to an auto body shop for some tips on fiber glassing, and how much they would charge to spray.

Guy was super cool and also recommended tigerhair filler lol.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Is it okay if i don't get ALL the paint off? Like the curves can I just hand sand as best as I can?
I wouldn't do any bodywork over paint. most fillers are designed to be used on bare metal or fiberglass. They do make paint stripper for fiberglass.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 22 Posts