New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
is a pop sensation
13,668 Posts
Cool list, but I have a few reservations about their data sources. I'm not sure about the Hemi Barracuda and Dart being 10 second cars bone stock. I'd have to see one out there on skinny bias ply tires tick off 10.5 s to believe it. Modified sure, but I find it very hard to believe they did it stock. I'm a bit skeptical on the ZL1 Vette too, but I'm not really that familiar with those cars.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
S/S as in Super Stock. Hemi Barracudas and Darts were basically factory racecars given to or sold to a select number of drag racing teams. Not everybody could get one. Under 100 Hemi-Darts were made. Don't know about the Hemi Barracudas. After the teams tuned those Hemi engines, yes, they were that fast!

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
By the way, Tasca Ford won the Super Stock class that year with their 428 Cobra Jet Mustangs. In 1968, Bob Tasca decided to stuff the 428 c.i.d. Ford 'Police Interceptor' engine into the 68 Mustang. The largest 'factory' Mustang engine that year was the 390. They went racing with it and were very dominant. The next year, the 428 Cobra Jet engine became a factory option and credit is often given to Bob Tasca for this.

The 1968 Hemi Darts and Hemi Barracudas are held among the greatest of cars ever made by Mopar afficionados... but..:biggrin:

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
this doesnt make sense to me. How does the 2003 Ferrari Enzo have a 1/4 time of 10.8s @ 135mph, yet the two cars before it have faster times but slower mph's???

Mike

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
more top end for the Ferrari...the 2 cars b4 probably had a lot more torque, so they got off the line faster but lost a little on the big end.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
wow its kinda werid that theres like ferarris and lambos mixed in with with "normal cars"

how much those poeple think there getting such a fast car cause there paying so much but there really not

well after the the top 20 anyway

·
is a pop sensation
13,668 Posts
I will retract my statement about the Dart/Barracuda SS not being able to run tens, but I will add the caveat that they were for track use only.

As per this site.

The big news for '68 A-bodies was the Super Stock 426 Hemi package, available in the Dart and Barracuda. This was a drag race only package, featuring a race-tuned Hemi and a seriously lightened body. Acid-dipped doors, lexan in place of glass, factory delete of anything not essential to life on the dragstrip (e.g. back seat, sound deadener, window cranks). Lightweight van seats on aluminum brackets were used in place of the factory bench. They had a little sticker which indicated that the car was not for use on public highways, but for "supervised acceleration trials" only. It ran the quarter in the mid 10's in '68. Today, these cars dominate the top NHRA Super Stock classes (SS/A and SS/AA), and have broken into the eights! (Mopar Muscle Apr/94, Mopar Action Dec/93, Mopar Action Apr/94, Chrysler Power Mar/94).

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
the mclaren f1 is oneof my favorite cars, and i didnt see it in there. so im guessing the reason is because it was not offered to north america? am i right? because i know those cars are pretty damn fast, and would probably be in the top 15 right?

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
yea its on there i think about 5 or 6

·
Buyer Beware
6,575 Posts
Just because a car has a huge HUGE v8 doesnt mean it will be fast. 5000+ lbs is alot to move

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
"I've never seen the Lancer Evo beat a WRX STi in a dragrace...the scooby has about 30 more hp and tq at the same weight... "

trust me it is, the STi gearing requires a 2-3 shift to hit 60, the EVO will pull off 0-60 in about a 4.8-5.0 range STi 5.2-5.5

plus the EVO's mad boost makes it much quicker and the STi does weigh more, the EVO is just devilishly fast, the STi is just quick. ive never seen an EVO loose to a STi (both stock) with equal drivers.

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
Originally posted by: RioredCoug

how much those poeple think there getting such a fast car cause there paying so much but there really not
well, for cars like that... its no longer the 'point' to have a fast car... but rather to own an expencive car. :)

the people who own them could probably care less, since its just a fun toy to them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts