New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I just got a new job offer in the Farmington Hills area, and I'm looking to compare costs before accepting the position.

Does anyone have a general idea of the cost of a 2bd apt w/ garage in the area, or at least close by? I'd hate to commute long distances daily, but I will do 1/2hr or so as that's what I do now daily anyways. (I'd prefer closer, obviously, heh.)

If I take this position, it looks like I won't be going back to TX soon. The amount they are offering me is hard to pass up, plus I get better benefits, and actually get paid for overtime that I work.

E1

·
Registered
5,519 Posts
my complex is probably 45 minutes from there and is about 850/month for a two bedroom with a single garage. You should be able to eaasily find somehting in that price range or lower wihtin 30 minutes of Farmington Hills, there are alot of options within that distance. Only proble is finding something with an actual garage and not just a carport.

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, garage is optional, since I just picked up a winter car, and the Cougar is headed to the shop for the tear-down in a few weeks. I just hate parking outside, lol...

$850 / mo isn't that bad, and is still in my price range, but I guess it depends on if Marcus is still planning on moving w/ me, or if he's going to stay in Jackson.

E1

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Heh, that's funny. The company is actually located between 9 and 10 mile on Haggerty Road. :D

I'm driving up Friday to discuss the final parts of the deal, and see what kinda signing bonus/stock options they are going to offer me. I love negotiating salaries and bonuses, last time I did that I walked out with a $78k / yr job, $5k signing bonus, a ton of stock options, and quarterly bonuses that amounted to about $2k each.

E1

·
Registered
5,519 Posts
Originally posted by: EternalOne
Yeah, garage is optional, since I just picked up a winter car, and the Cougar is headed to the shop for the tear-down in a few weeks. I just hate parking outside, lol...

$850 / mo isn't that bad, and is still in my price range, but I guess it depends on if Marcus is still planning on moving w/ me, or if he's going to stay in Jackson.

E1
$850 is for a place near Oakland University so they jack the prices pretty high. I would assume you woudl be able to find places like 200 or so cheaper than that fairly eaisly with a covered car port atleast.

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's not a major company (nothing like Pioneer man, heh). Its Datanational, and they offered me a lead programmer position. The guy said the majority of my time would be spent on VB and VB.Net apps, but there have been many requests for highly skilled C++ and Managed C++ programmers (which I do both, as well).

I've been dreading making the decision not to return to TX, namely because of the close friends and my shop down there. But I've since built good relationships up here (you all included), and I've found myself a "home" for my modding bug. (I even bought into the company now, lol...) This also keeps me very close to my kids, whom I'd miss if I moved back. The only downfall? Winter. My body aches already from the 50 degree nights, as it gets colder, I start getting more and more sore. :p

Hopefully this all works out tho, I'll find out the final details on Friday. If they offer me enough compensation, then I'll be living close by ya'll soon enough! :D

(Now I gotta figure out how I'm going to complete 2 months of work in 2 weeks here at this job, since I'd feel bad leaving them hanging...)

E1

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
I'll be glad to see you hangin out here with us in the snow my friend! Believe me, I'm aching already at the thought of winter myself. I can't tolerate that damn season. If I never saw another snow flake again in my lifetime it would be TOOOOOOOO soon.

Best of luck with your job interview.

·
Premium Member
21,035 Posts
Well John, I hope you take the job So you stay close by. Well somewhat close by. I mean how many Cougar nuts are there in Texas?:shrug:

Good luck with the negotiating!;)

·
Got Jell-o?
5,308 Posts
I think it'd be awesome if you stayed.

Tell you what, Mr. Achy Bones.....if winter bothers you too much, you can come and sit in my Jacuzzi tub for a while ;)

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wooo, I'm there! :D

I have the final meeting tomorrow at 2pm, so I should know something by 5pm or so.

E1

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Soon... I'm actually headed out that way in another hour or so, figured I'd get lunch someplace beforehand, just so I can make sure to be on time.

And I remember why I hate having my resume online now, too. Last nite I got a call for an initial intervue from a place in Walled Lake, but I could barely understand the chick on the phone. (Hardcore Indian accent...) The email says her name is Minimol -- but I couldn't gather that from her on the phone, and had a hard time setting up the intervue, lol. Spend 1/2 hr on the phone with her, and then she finally asks my salary requirements. When I tell her $60k she just sits there, the job they are looking to fill is for $30k, for a LEAD ADMIN! WTH, I would NEVER put up with the stress of a lead admin position for that low of pay. LOL...

Also found something else out yesterday that I didn't know. Google has a data center in Ann Arbor, and they are hiring. :D My intervue with them is next Thursday, with promotion paths leading direct to the Googleplex! Woo, now THAT would be a job I'd love to have...

Anyways, headed out, I'll letcha all know if I get good news. (Crosses fingers) I hate job searching, once I get one solid offer, the pressure is gone, until then, its hell...

E1

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.