New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a 10" Alpine sub and a 200watt alpine amp thanks to you guys on the forums. When the bass hits REAL HARD, the lights dim. Not too bad, but you notice it. Should I get a farad cap? if so, do they come in different sizes? all info will be appreciated!

·
Registered
517 Posts
what size power wire are you running? with only 200watts you shouldnt be drawing more than 30amps or so tops. if you havent checked your battery in a while you might want to do so soon, otherwise check your alternator. this is of course assuming that you actually have a good ground hooked up to the amplifier. seriously you shouldnt have any issues with that small of amp. even when the bass does hit real hard.
josh

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i just got a new battery last week. my friend just installed a 125watt jl amp with a JL 10wO and his lights even dim a little when the bass hits. and I am using 10 guage wire

·
Registered
517 Posts
10 ga should be fine to run that amp, but your lights should not be dimming with that little amount of current. make sure there is a good chassis ground and alternator is ok, and if you want to get a cap 1farad will be fine.
josh

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
will a .5 farad be fine?

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Since you're lights are already dimming, this tells me you've got a bigger problem, and a cap will only be a bandaid (and will wear your alternator out faster, because of the higher draw during normal operating conditions). Take your car to Pep Boys, Autozone, someplace that tests alternators and batteries for free. I am betting your alt is not putting out enough amps.

E1

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maybe I worded this a little wrong..... When the bass hits HARD, the lights dim VERY little. I would bet money that 8 out of 10 people wouldnt even notice it. You have to be staring at a light when the bass hits to notice it. I just notice it because Im always driving it. Is this still bad?

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
your ten gauge power wire may not be enough to give your amp the full power it needs therefore it is draining on your system...but in all honesty you should not get any diming from one 250 watt amp...where is your amp grounded and exactly which lights dim??if it is just your deck lights dimming then it is more then likely a bad ground..but if you are in your car and can notice the headlights dim then like E1 said you have a larger problem at hand...GET YOUR ALT CHECKED...i have had a 500 and a 200 watt amp hooked up at the same time with no cap and never had diming lights...i dont think a cap will solve your prolem but it definately cover it up nicely...hehe..and yes a .5 Farad will be more then enough for your amp..

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
why would a bad ground cause the lights to dim? just curious...
oh, idk if this helps any, but it seems as if just the interior lights dim, BUT it is only when I am stopped at a light...it doesnt happen when I am driving.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
i once in my old beater had a bad ground on my deck and the thing would heat up and the lights would dim when ever my subs hit...i am not an electrician i just know that when i fixed the ground it worked fine....your alternator puts out more power when you are driving or reving the engine as opposed to when sitting idle...SPL drag cars always have there engines going and the red line being pushed to squeeze out as much power as possible...if they dim while at idle then you i would suspect your alternator of being the problem...

do your lights dim when the engine is off? and the the subs are cranked..hopefully not, your battery should have enough juice to push your sub for quite some time...

like they said go to a shop where you can have the battery and alternator check for free....stop at one on the way home from work or something..all it will cost you it fifteen minutes of your time..then you may not have to spend the 50 on a cap and you can put it toward the alternator your more then likely gonna need some time soon anyway....Cougars are prone to the STOP AND GO ALTERNATOR..

·
Registered
517 Posts
thats a good terminology for it!!!!---STOP AND GO ALTERNATOR
josh

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Yup, as was already stated, here is the standard diag route for finding dimming light problems:

- Check amp power wire, it is sized accordingly?
- Check amp power wire fuse, is it sized accordingly?
- Check ground wire on amp, is the paint scuffed around the ground, is the ground sized accordingly?
- Check Battery Voltage (make sure it reads 12v AT LEAST).
- Check speaker wiring (make sure the amp isn't downloaded when it doesn't handle it)
- Test battery w/ multimeter during high load (make sure voltage stays above 12v)
- Take car and test alternator (they can also test battery)

Any of these can cause your lights to dim. If you're still having problems and nothing here solves it, then your alt is probably not powerful enough. (I've noticed lights dimming in stock cougars w/ accessories turned on, such as rear defrost, headlights, turn signals, etc.)

E1

1 - 13 of 13 Posts