New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 1400Watt 12" Power acoustic sub woofer(400 Rms) and a Kenwood Amp (Thinks its about 3 or 4 hundred Rms) can't remember.

I know a split charger would solve this problem but i don't really want to put a battery in the boot.

So would a 1 Farad power cap solve the problem of a power hungry Amp?

·
Registered
187 Posts
I recently fitted a 1 farad cap to my system (which I bought on a recent trip to America), and it has noticeably cut down on any sub bass related mishaps, such as blowing all my dash lights on my Astra SRi, or being pulled over by the police because my headlights looked like a cop car when the system was going full chat. The only problem is, I've found the cap really puts a strain on the battery with prolonged usage- you have to leave the system off occasionally so the alternator can recharge the battery. Not sure how much strain it puts on the alternator with everyday use either. But in short, a cap would be a cheap option as opposed to the split charging route. But saying that, it is worth spending the extra to get a decent cap, I have found in the past that cheaper ones sometimes can't supply all the power the amp needs. Not good....

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been lookin at a Rockford Fosgate Power Cap, bit pricey @ over £100.

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Theres no real bargins in the stiffening cap world. For 1 farad your pretty much looking at around £100+ for anything decent. The problem is your ampage draw with the bigger amps. The stiffening cap will improve things a bit in relation to the current your amp sees as it's basically a battery storage system which holds charge and feeds the amp instead of directly from the battery. As such it shouldn't really change how quickly you loose charge as it will still need to store enough current to keep the amp going. The big positive for "Subby" systems is it can send more power to the Amp when it needs it instead of the batterys steady charge.

The best options is probably a split charge system, but with a single sub this shouldn't really be necessary. A better more reliable change would be a better higher output battery.

The best for this would be a competition dry battery and holds immense power. When I competed I had a three amp, 21 speaker system which ran just on 1 of these quite happily

Alternatively, you can go for a cheaper option which would be a battery from a larger vehicle.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
got to agree with richard one amp and sub should not make any noticable differance at all to how your battery performs i have two 350watts amps and two 350watts subs both in rms and until my system is REALLY cranked up to the point its almost to loud to listen too from in the car i have no problems at all,even when it is cranked up the most that happens is my dash lights flicker??.
optima make uprated battery's with a lot more power than a standard and the bonus of being able to mount it sideway's as richard say's it's dry cell,if you are having problems with one amp and sub i would really start by getting your battery checked out and alternator.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts