New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Wow... $500,000 and you still have to buy hubcaps for the rear. I wouldn't pay $10,000 for that thing - I don't care who owned it, I think it is ugly! What would you rather have for half a million... A Lamborghini AND a Ferrari, or that?

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
You're paying for two things. One - The Thunderbolt. Two - The 427 "Cammer" SOHC engine. Regular Thunderbolts had the 427 high-riser side-oiler giving over 500hp - but factory rated at 425. The Cammer was factory rated 657hp with two 4-barrel carburettors. The fact that it belonged to Mickey Thompson is a plus. I have read about this car and its quite a significant piece of Ford motorsport history. As for being the first car with the Cammer engine, I got to look that up. I was under the impression that there were light-weight Galaxies with that engine fitted. The light-weight Galaxies predate the Thunderbolt by a year. The Cammer was in development in 1963 for the 1964 NASCAR season... the cars that Ford was running in NASCAR and in professional drag racing that year were Galaxies. I'm surprised that it turned up in E-bay of all places. Since the seller is in Nevada, I would be not surprised if this car will appear at the upcoming Barrett-Jackson auction. I do not think it will fetch $500,000. Well over $100,000 for sure, perhaps over $250,000.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Found a 427 SOHC Lightweight Galaxie.
http://www.toqinc.org/lightweight/reunion.htm

The 427 Cammer wasn't an 'over-the-counter' type deal so I can't tell when it was installed. Dyno Don was running a Cammer in his Maverick during the early 1970s. As rare as they are, Cammers were around for a while.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.