New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys.

So, I just got my car (1999 Cougar, V6, MTX, SVT Lite) from Ohio to Washington for college. After I got out here I tried to do that whole cleaning the UIM without removing it service:

http://tutorials.newcougar.org/HowToCleanIntakeManifold.pdf

So, I went to remove the vacuum lines and discovered that whoever previously owned this SVT UIM had broken the vacuum line running from behind the TB to the brake booster. I searched and searched and finally found one. I replaced it and then went to perform this service. Everything seemed good until after I finished. The car began puffing white smoke like a locomotive. Fortunately, someone with more mechanical knowledge than I (I am a work in progress) told me my head gasket was probably blown.

So, after that long intro my question is:

Has anyone else done this service before and gotten similar results? If anyone has successfully done this, where might I have gone wrong so as not to make the same mistake twice. Thanks...

·
Registered
511 Posts
If you ran seafoam through the engine, its going to puff white smoke like a locomotive.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The How-To fails to mention that the car will smoke, so I can see why you thought something bad happened. If it'll ease your mind any, just look up "seafoam" on youtube and you'll see the results of others doing it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hey Guys.

So, I just got my car (1999 Cougar, V6, MTX, SVT Lite) from Ohio to Washington for college. After I got out here I tried to do that whole cleaning the UIM without removing it service:

http://tutorials.newcougar.org/HowToCleanIntakeManifold.pdf

So, I went to remove the vacuum lines and discovered that whoever previously owned this SVT UIM had broken the vacuum line running from behind the TB to the brake booster. I searched and searched and finally found one. I replaced it and then went to perform this service. Everything seemed good until after I finished. The car began puffing white smoke like a locomotive. Fortunately, someone with more mechanical knowledge than I (I am a work in progress) told me my head gasket was probably blown.

So, after that long intro my question is:

Has anyone else done this service before and gotten similar results? If anyone has successfully done this, where might I have gone wrong so as not to make the same mistake twice. Thanks...
i've personally never done it without taking the manifold off. last time i did a rebuild, i took both upper and lower off to physically clean. best way in my honest opinion. that way, u dont have to do an oil change nor replace the sparkplugs. does the car run like crap? if not, theres nothing wrong with ur car. that writeup forgot to mention that all that crap that u washed out of ur manifolds into the enine will have to be burned up. hence the smoke.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
See that's what I figured. I thought it was just the carbon burning off, but then someone saw it while walking by (and this is like after I've been running the engine for at least 15 minutes) and said, "Dude, your head gasket is gone. Trust me I know, I used to rebuild cars." So I panicked, shut it down, and then went into a state of depression. If the smoke should be white, thick, and seemingly endless, then I might be in good shape after all. It moved just fine to the other end of the parking lot where I was going to let it smoke smoke away. Do you think I'd be safe to restart it then?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Yes, seafoaming causes all sorts of white smoke and it doesn't do what it's supposed to if you leave if all in there to dry and harden back up. Go start it and let it burn that crap out.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I did this to my 96 Acura Integra last week trust me it is going to smoke like crazy for a while. Now if it is still smoking a week from now you may have a problem, but it is going to smoke until you let it burn it all out. Just ignore the head gasket comment. If you busted the head gasket you would deff know it!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great News! After running the car all across the back roads of southeastern Washington the smoke has cleared. At first it was still really bad. Someone even took the time to stop me and tell me I had blown my head gasket, but the word "seafoam" is a very calming term. So, this young man I had never met took me to some very secluded backroads and the smoke vanished. Thanks to him and you guys (and contour.org for the vacuum line) I have a car again. God bless!

·
Administrator
11,733 Posts
Great News! After running the car all across the back roads of southeastern Washington the smoke has cleared. At first it was still really bad. Someone even took the time to stop me and tell me I had blown my head gasket, but the word "seafoam" is a very calming term. So, this young man I had never met took me to some very secluded backroads and the smoke vanished. Thanks to him and you guys (and contour.org for the vacuum line) I have a car again. God bless!
WHAT?! :rofl:

·
Registered
500 Posts
lolololol thats funny.

i watched the videos that smoke scares the hell outa me! id never do that to my car who knows what else its doing inside

·
Premium Member
6,005 Posts
[hijack]
are you in Pullman? let me know if you would be interested in coming to a meet sometime in Portland or Seattle. It's been a while since we've had a NW meet, but there was some conversation at cougarfest about some of the California guys coming up to Portland in the fall for a meet.
[/hijack]

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am in southeastern Washington in Walla Walla at Walla Walla University (which, I guess technically, is in College Place, WA), but I wouldn't mind hooking up sometime. I have never had a chance to really meet with other NECO members. Let me know if something develops-I'd love to come to a NW gathering.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.