New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how to go about making the interior lights fade to off instead of just shut off? I have seen this on some cars, newer volkswagens especially. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Now that's a great idea! If the Cavaliers come with this, how come Ford couldn't do it? I believe they even turn themselves off if you forget.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
It's a relay that is placed on the power line, it's called 'theatre lighting' if I'm not mistaken. It's an easy mod to do, I've seen it done on a number of Cougars with just the interior light in the headliner, but offhand, I'm not sure how to do it myself.

Just thought I'd let you know that it is possible!

·
Premium Member
1,935 Posts
i think the ford escapes do that. If i'm correct maybe you could get a relay
from one of them and try using it.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
my pontiac also had this. maybe it's possible to find the parts and a way to make it work in the coug :shrug:

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok so far we know that other cars have it and it's called theatre lighting, but no how to's! Some electrical genius should know how to and what parts to get.

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
Yes.. there is a theatre lighting module that you can integrate into any car.. its 19.99 and I have personally seen it on a Cougar...

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Very cool. Does anyone know where I could go about ordering this device?

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice work! I'm going to give it a try, I'll let you all know in the how-to section if it works.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Where can i find one in Canada? They want 40 bucks to ship it to me and it's a 20 dollar piece?????

·
Buyer Beware
6,575 Posts
Holy my good god! I am forever in debt! I had this in my Eclipse and loved it! i cant wait to do it to the Cougar

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Originally posted by: GrandMasterKhan
Holy my good god! I am forever in debt! I had this in my Eclipse and loved it! i cant wait to do it to the Cougar
lol where you been? this is like 6mths old

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Has anyone done this since this thread? I would like to see a how-to.

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
Woah, first of all there is a second thread on this same topic in Audio and Electrical already.

Thread

Secondly, a relay is a magnetic switch, nothing more. A relay does not fade lights.

Thirdly, no one should have to spend $20 on a fancy module. It should be as simple as a capacitor. A capacitor holds a charge on a temporary basic like a quick discharge battery as an analogy. If a high valued cap is put in parallel with the light bulb itself, when the power is switched off to the bulb the capacitor will then temporarily supply the power until it drains therefore giving the appearance of "dimming" out. You might also want to experiment with different valued resistors in series to attempt to decrease the drain on the capacitor to slow down the dimming.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts