New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has likely been discussed here over the years but I wanted to post as I'm editing most of Ford's fantasy maintenance schedule. My Contour Service Guide ("normal service) doesn't even list a transmission fluid change, auto or manual. For "severe service," apparently only the auto needs a fluid change at 30k.

FWIW, I've started using the Hayne's service intervals as I find them realistic and reasonable. This schedule is pretty much a modified Ford "Severe" schedule. I've also switched over to using only Motorcraft lubes, fluids, and filters.

One thing that irritates me is Ford recommends changing the stupid cabin filter every 20k yet neglects the transaxles. Grr.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Yeah, ignoring transmissions is practically industry standard. Even when the manufacturer does recommend it, a lot of people still don't do it.
I havent really done anything with my Cougar trans, but the Jeeps I've owned over the years all require regular trans service and I've found people look at me like I'm some kind of lunatic when I mention changing my transmission oil and filter. Multiple people have even tried to talk me out of it thinking that somehow draining the dirty oil would cause me more problems than leaving it in. Dinosaur thinking. Then they just sell the vehicle when it doesnt shift right anymore..

Reactions: JustToddSC

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Every 6000 miles: Rotate tires
My tires rotate plenty of times in 6k miles, these enguNERDS don't know what they're talking about!

·
Registered
226 Posts
I was told at 100k miles intervals for the manual transmission oil needs replaced. 30k intervals is the standard on the automatic transmission.

The newer vehicles can do longer if the right oil is used. Manufacture specification.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
5,258 Posts
My tires rotate plenty of times in 6k miles, these enguNERDS don't know what they're talking about!
If you rotate every 5K miles, you buy tires in sets of four; if you don't rotate tires, you buy tires in sets of two. That was the wisdom passed down from my father, and so far it's been true. The 5K varies, depending on whether it's a car I change the oil on, or one the shop changes the oil on. ;-)

Reactions: JustToddSC

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you rotate every 5K miles, you buy tires in sets of four; if you don't rotate tires, you buy tires in sets of two. That was the wisdom passed down from my father, and so far it's been true. The 5K varies, depending on whether it's a car I change the oil on, or one the shop changes the oil on. ;-)
Based on my Contour, I have to agree with that. I bought 2 tires about a year ago and kept them on the front to conserve the wearing rear tires. It worked, but I kept them on too long. I finally recently rotated them as the fronts were showing significant wear but the rears showed little. The rotation quickly cooked the old tires after maybe 2 months and I just replaced them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts