New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new set of factory fog lights that I'm mounting on an 2001 that didn't originally have them. I have mounted the lights and plugged them into the wires that were there for foglights but since the car didn't come with foglights the wires aren't hooked to a switch what should I be looking for under the dash to find the other end of these wires so I can attach them to an after market switch.

Thanks in advance -Hunter

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
You probably don't have the wiring for the fogs already in the car since it didn't come with them. You need to purchase the wiring with the relay and a switch from fordpartsonline.com (cheapest place). Then the switch you get will just replace the switch you already have (same switch but it pulls out to turn on the fog lights).

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Or just get the wiring harness, run the new lines, and then place a pushbutton or rocker switch somewhere to power them. If you look at this, you'll see the rocker switch under the headlight control knob -- wired and lighted for use with my fogs.

·
So its begun.....
16,838 Posts
Originally posted by: Hunter
I have mounted the lights and plugged them into the wires that were there for foglights but since the car didn't come with foglights the wires aren't hooked to a switch what should I be looking for under the dash to find the other end of these wires so I can attach them to an after market switch.
First, since you've plugged them in you're obviously wired for them. Second you'll need to purchase a new factory swith that has foglights on them.

and third you should only need the relay that plugs in on the same panel as the light switch. On the 99's there is a bue connector clipped into the panel, not positive ts the same on the 01/02..it'd be nice if someone could confirm this...I have the relay number somewhere, If I can find it I'll post it.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Originally posted by: LostRacer
Originally posted by: Hunter I have mounted the lights and plugged them into the wires that were there for foglights but since the car didn't come with foglights the wires aren't hooked to a switch what should I be looking for under the dash to find the other end of these wires so I can attach them to an after market switch.
First, since you've plugged them in you're obviously wired for them. Second you'll need to purchase a new factory swith that has foglights on them. and third you should only need the relay that plugs in on the same panel as the light switch. On the 99's there is a bue connector clipped into the panel, not positive ts the same on the 01/02..it'd be nice if someone could confirm this...I have the relay number somewhere, If I can find it I'll post it.

While the wires are there, it doesn't mean they actually work - on my 01, the wires were present, but disappeared behind the firewall, and when I pulled on them, they came out, terminal and all (ie: weren't plugged in). The relay on the 01-02 are under the steering panel on the drivers side. It's a blue connector that is plasti-screwed into the upper inside of the dash.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Okay, putting fogs on a '99, got the switch, ordered a harness part# F8RZ-15A211-KA, about $17, anyway I was hoping it was the harness to plug into the fogs themselves as I didnt see any wires already in place. But from what I gather from reading your posts, maybe this is the infamous "blue" connector.... the harness here is like a jumper, where the hell does it go? And what does it plug into on either side? Maybe this will help a few others, so I put some pics on too.

Thanks, Steven R.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
When you take off headlight switch cover look in the holes and to your right will be an empty harness attached to the inside of the dash right by steering wheel. Anyways I think thats where it plugs into? I have nothing attached there and the wire you have is the empty link i think? This is driving me insane.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
That picture looks like the relay harness. This isn't the harness I was speaking about - I'm talking about the wiring that runs from the fogs themselves, to the battery and grounding points, then into the cabin where it can be connected to either the headlight switch or a momentary one. You already have that harness that you purchased - as said above, of it's plastiscrewed into the inside of the dash to the left of the steering wheel.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks I wasn't sure if those wires ran through to the inside I am going to just tap into those from the lights run them to a switch on the interior and hook it to a hot wire then.

thanks again

1 - 10 of 10 Posts